Watch this shocking pumpkin pie analogy of how the United States' $98 trillion is divided between wealth brackets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/31/watch-this-shocking-pumpkin-pi.html

5 Likes

At 4:00…BULLSHIT.

Nobody EARNS that kind of money. They steal it by some means or another. This exactly the kind of logical fallacy they use to “justify” ill-gotten wealth.

50 Likes

13 Likes

I wonder if they cherry picked the people in the video. Most of the people I know, myself included, would have immediately put 80% to 90% of the pie in the wealthiest bracket. The wealth disparity in this country is abominable. And it’s not sustainable.

15 Likes

OK, now a serious comment. I did know to put 9 slices with the richest cohort but not much beyond that so that was informative to me as well.

I really liked that he had people do it themselves first rather than just show them up front. I think it sinks in more for people that way.

21 Likes

eta: Wait, “household wealth”? I think I’d want to see the definition for that.

31 Likes

That’s a really interesting observation! Thanks for pointing that out to me.

13 Likes

I sure hope so, because those were some seriously innumerate people. The guy that put half the pie on the middle quintile, WTF.

11 Likes

Further proof that malls are dying.

3 Likes

Now which candidate currently has the most progressive platform for addressing this? I’ll wait…

5 Likes

The Republicans have enlisted religion to forward their cause. Wealth equals righteousness so by that measure poverty equals sinfulness and laziness. They have found a true champion in Trump as he seems capable of deluding a lot of people that he is not one of the power hungry rich people who still believe that they are too poor and that the poor are too rich. Somehow all that is keeping us from prosperity are those dirty immigrants and other assorted brown people. This is all backed up by religious charlatans who desire access to power in order to forcefully impose their hypocritical morality on the public. Given enough time and support, they will establish the American Taliban. We all need to take a day off in November to vote these fascists out.

15 Likes

Redistribution; there’s that.

What about clamping down (even harder… ?) on those who hide and shield their wealth from taxation?

6 Likes

At this point, Bernie seems to be the most capable of connecting with people and would be the most likely to inspire people to go out and vote to remove Trump and his lapdogs.

7 Likes

Don’t get your hopes up.

1 Like

He knew that they were all temporarily embarrassed millionaires. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I’d prefer a blade myself, but a clamp might be a reasonable compromise.

2 Likes

That yacht apologist was being typically absurd to argue that “all” his wealth be redistributed. I think we’re only (currently) hoping for that
a) extra yacht,
b) 4th and 5th mansion,
c) worthless scion’s bribe through the Ivy Leagues and placement on X’s board,
and
d) you compete fairly.

Ok, I see where the problem is.

(edited for parenthetical additions)

13 Likes

It’s a sad truth that, generally speaking, the US has always detested the poor. Always. Of course, what is really detested the appearance of poverty, as most the populace are deep in debt yet seem to be getting along well enough.

What drives me absolutely nuts is that some people assume that the capitalist scheme works for anyone and everyone, provided they just work hard enough. These are the same people that have no experience whatsoever in designing systems. If they had, they’d know right off the bat that every. single. damn. system. on this planet has cracks, bugs, breaks, failures, trap doors, or what have you.

10 Likes

I probably would have gotten this pretty close to correct. So not “shocking” at all.

What’s shocking is that CBS is giving time to Sanders and Warren.

12 Likes

I would have liked to see him show how much the wealth tax would affect the rich. Cut off not even 1/4 of a slice from the rich and share it to everyone else. Oh no, how will they survive on 8 3/4 slices?

22 Likes