The 90s Art School Instagram is a fascinating time capsule of pre-internet fun

Originally published at: The 90s Art School Instagram is a fascinating time capsule of pre-internet fun | Boing Boing

1 Like

As someone who went to art school in the early 90’s I’m interested to see this, but not interested enough to sign up to instagram. How GenX of me.

15 Likes

I also went to art school in the 90s but I have Instagram which is very Gen X of me as I’m still down with the fellow kids.

11 Likes

“How very.”

I’ve spent countless hours on the Internet K-Hole, which is a somewhat similar site of mostly 70’s/80’s “lost” photographs that have been found at auctions, yard sales, etc, and digitized. I definitely get the appeal and nostalgia and will have to check this one out at some point.

9 Likes

Yup, I spent hours in there by accident once.
“I’ll just have a brief look…”

10 Likes

same. as a Gen-Xer, i say meh.

1 Like

Sweet, but what the hell is going on with the K-Hole these days? I think the person running it now is not the same person who started it. She’s waaay too young to be the founder (IIRC, mid- to late 90s?).

We’re like the “cool aunts and uncles” now.

5 Likes

To paraphrase our @Papasan I’m Auntie-ing right now!!

6 Likes

You come across as a very mature 15 yo. You are at least 15, no?

2 Likes

I was there in the 90s and I recognize a bunch of the people in the pictures. Somehow I managed to miss out on all the fun.

Sigh. Do it now kids, you only go around once.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I love TIKH. “Wait, do I know that dude? Was I at that party? It looks like I should have been at that party”

1 Like

I get that vibe.
I think the world might be fractal in which case we may have been there. Kind of.

2 Likes

But we’re we cool or did we just have the confidence of youth and dreadful hair? Functionally, is there any difference?

2 Likes

I’m not convinced I’m cool even now but I care less about it now - but no, no difference at all for sure back then.

2 Likes

Ugh… so I guess this is how nostalgia feels.

3 Likes

1990s pre-Internet? Uh, no, try again.

2 Likes

Bah I meant “pre-social media” !!

1 Like

Crazy coincidence. I was just uploading some super 8 footage to YouTube that I shot at Kansas City Art institute in the mid 90s:

Usenet is the original social media!

2 Likes