“The American Society of Magical Negroes” looks fantastic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/14/the-american-society-of-magical-negroes-looks-fantastic.html

7 Likes

It’s got the awkward guy from D&D being…awkward. Alright, play to your strengths.

Snark aside, this looks entertainingly tongue in cheek.

6 Likes

I was expecting satire or a joke or something not a trailer for an actual full blown movie. This looks amazing though.

6 Likes

when I think Magical Negroes, I think Stephen King. e/ and not in a good way.

6 Likes

Key and Peele did a sketch on that general concept a while back:

16 Likes

This reminds me of the excellent book Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu, which is a similar meta-commentary on the stereotypes of Asian Americans.

4 Likes

I thought he did a great job playing not-Drizzt-Do’Urden

2 Likes

Exactly who first sprung to my mind.

5 Likes

Is the girl/love interest a Manic Pixie Dream Girl?

9 Likes

thats exactly my problem with the suggested premise in the trailer. kinda hope its misleading. e/ misleading as in hopefully ironic/sarcastic and not seriously a MPDG, because thats the vibe I get.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I´ve read this comic book a long ago and liked it. It touches the same issues.

[American Born Chinese (graphic novel) - Wikipedia]

It was adapted by Disney+ last year, but I wasn´t brave enough to check it out…

3 Likes

From the trailer she definitely seems to be more of a “prize” to be won or a prop to move the plot forward than full fledged individual with their own agency but maybe that’s part of the satire?

5 Likes

I really do hope so.

4 Likes

Crikey, I assumed that was satire.

I’m probably wrong. I usually am, deservedly.

3 Likes

Maybe she will turn out to be a renegade member of The American Society of Manic Pixie Dream Girls whose mission is to make white men confortable.

8 Likes

Stock Characters, the movie. Only in discount bins, next summer.

6 Likes

The trailer already makes this movie look incredibly clever. It wouldn’t be too wild to think it’s clever enough to set up exactly that sequel and I love the idea. Close the trilogy out with the American Society of Non-threatening Gay Best Friends?

5 Likes

Tagline: We’re not here to save the world. We’re just here to help you with your stupid, white-ass problems.

4 Likes

The NPR reviewer didn’t talk too much about the love interest or whether she’s a M.P.D.G., but she wasn’t impressed with the film:

6 Likes

jah, after reading this review, guess thats a pass for me.

3 Likes