The best pen

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-FriXion-Erasable-Point-FX7-BLK/dp/B001GAOTLY

I think Benny Hill is more appropriate for preschoolers, but to each their own.

When I was in college I bought a ball point pen from the art store that I loved, but have long since forgotten the name of. It was a very fine point with ink that flowed fast. So I could make lines like it was a .2mm pen on up to about 3/8" wide. Anyone have suggestions for where I can find something like that now?
Also, the Pilot Precise v5 (v7? yuck) is nice for writing, but donā€™t ever let others use them. I used to work retail, and I could go through 2-3 a day because of people breaking the tip.

I actually went out and bought a Jetstream from a stationery shop this morning and it is indeed a very fine pen. I may buy more. The V5 is not bad, but the ink does tend to spread, even more so with the V7.

Iā€™m glad to see that they rated the G2 so poorly - itā€™s an awful pen, Iā€™ve never worked out why people seem to think it is so good. Scratchy, rattly and irregular. I would rather use a Bic.

1 Like

Finally, a fellow lover of resistance! My biggest beef with most pens is that they seem to be going for friction-less writing. I need to feel the pen on paper both to attain the appropriate personal satisfaction for writing and to keep my writing from simply scrawling all over the page.

I canā€™t stand ball points, though; after years of suffering, I finally started buying cheap fountain pens again. (At the rate I lose pens, no way Iā€™m buying an expensive one.) Only problem is finding them - seems like the only fountain pens anyone stocks are more in the luxury range.

Does anyone have a Zebra Sharbo X?

http://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-Sharbo-X-LT3-Pen-Body-Component-Orange-Flame/pd/4458

Pricy, but looks niceā€¦

I used to use Pilot V5 and V7 pens in the 80s, but these days there are better options. The Signo 207 isnā€™t bad, but I find it a bit scratchy.

Personally I rate the Sanford uni-ball Gel RT as a bit better than the Pilot G2, but itā€™s largely a matter of what feel you prefer. Both are available as 0.7mm gel pens, and I use both, but the Gel RT is a bit smoother. They also sell the Gel RT in 1mm and 0.38mm widths.

The biggest disappointment in pens and pencils recently was the Sharpie liquid graphite pencil. Really horrible uneven lines.

When I was writing by hand every day, I used Rotring Rapidograph pens. Unfortunately they dry up and fail if not used often enough. Wir schreiben nicht auf papier oder so, as Holger Hiller put it in 1986.

Now Iā€™m imagining you just randomly destroying items in your immediate vicinity, for no discernible reason. :slight_smile:

Medievalist is sitting at computer. Medievalist reaches out hand, snaps pencil in half. Medievalist continues typing

In that itā€™s a matter of personal preference? I think so, yes. I donā€™t do much writing anymore (see my previous comment in this thread), but I know a lot of people who just work/think better if theyā€™re writing things down by hand. Whereas all I can ever think when Iā€™m writing something by hand is ā€œMan, how is my wrist cramping up already? Iā€™ve written like 4 words. I hope Iā€™ll be able to read this later. Writing is stupidā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s probably more about misdirected resentment for me. In my early years of school, I was forced to practice penmanship over and over and told that my lack of improvement at it was going to be a serious problem. I can type faster and more legibly than writing. I type all the time. Very rarely do I write with a pen or pencil. So when I see people talking about how great pens are, I think about that pointless time I was forced to spend trying to improve my handwriting and see them as the people most likely to inflict that on a younger generation.

Medievalist goes ā€œgoddamn crappy pencils, why are you so fragile!ā€

The decorative metal band tarnished on sweaty hands. Itā€™s back to $3 Chinese-made Ebay jobs for meā€¦

I have a cousin with a learning disorder called dysgraphiaā€“he produces handwriting with all the ease and elegance of a somersaulting dumpster, and needs to be accommodated with a a laptop in school in order to keep up. For him, forming letters is a miserable barrier between his thoughts and his production. However, for most people, I believe thereā€™s a consensus that thereā€™s a mild advantage in handwriting things for learningā€“and mind-mapping software requires quite a learning curve to even approach the ease of pen and paper.

Hi, fellow leftie! waves

My guess is that one reason you take full advantage of the ability to avoid writing these days is due to being a leftie: smeared ink (paper and side of hand), painful cramp, etc. Writing just isnā€™t a joy for lefties, especially those of us from the hook generation.

Amirite?

I used to write with a fountain pen. They are nice but a bit of work. I have an Omas, an Aurora, and a Delta. I liked the Aurora the best. Itā€™s really hard to get a fountain pen dialed in. The pen has to have the right weight and balance. The nib canā€™t be too loose or stiff. The ink has to work well with the pen and the paper has to be able to support the ink. Then there is the over all feel. Finally, there is the product which is what you have written and how it looks. With all these factors writing becomes like a tea ceremony. I guess thatā€™s the appeal.

This was my usual setup:
Aurora - Limited Edition Mar Tirreno
Noddlerā€™s Ink
Rhodia Pads

Yeah, itā€™s a bit pricy. If you donā€™t have to finance a life itā€™s a great way to waste money. Right now a good Parker or Delta ball point with a decent cartridge and Rhodia pad is good enough.

1 Like

Iā€™ve notice a rattle but only want the ball point is dirty. A quick clean and the rattle would stop. You can always try other cartridges. I used to write with a Monteblanc cartridges.

Good guess! But nope. Rightie here. Just didnā€™t do my notes in typical fashion, I tended to go back and forth all over the page, resulting in lefty-fooling smudges all over my pages. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.