The best thing to do is nothing

If that’s all you wanted to say, then you should have given up when I pointed out that it’s paid off before.

16 Likes

No, that there wasn’t “one non-violent protest.” That was several dozen simultaneous independent protests involving crowds that added up to the greatest number of simultaneously protesting people in the history of this world… with no arrests for violence or disorderliness.

You’re utterly full of shit, unless you simultaneously mean “as long as there are humans, there will be violence… somewhere… maybe unrelated to the protests.”

Then stop denying it.

24 Likes

Amen.

27 Likes

Now that’s intellectually dishonest. I never said any such words. Try a different way. One that doesn’t include the attraction of violence. Whether you think it should or not, the violence hurts your message. I’d avoid it.

This is the present, not history.

12 Likes

Do you have a specific suggestion? Or are you just here to demand that people not protest things which they feel are illegal or immoral?

Edit: You have fifteen of the forty-eight comments in this thread so far; that’s almost a third of this thread being just you, repeatedly telling people not to protest. I think we all agree that it’s now time for you to move on to laying out your alternative plan; the thing that you’re saying people should be doing instead of protesting, that in your experience works better and more reliably than protesting.

We are all ears. Enlighten us.

18 Likes

First, I’m not demanding anything. Just offering advice and I really don’t care if it’s taken.

I don’t see Milo having protests, violent or non violent. He gets his message out, no? Trump did win. I’m guessing there must be other ways.

The optics of protest are terrible. Believe me or not, and the election should give you a clue, it drives people away from your message.

Watch and see for yourself. I’m going to bed. Night all.

The election had very few protests compared with now. And now public sentiment measures show that most people agree with the protesters.

For instance, trump entered office with the lowest approval rating in modern history.

Let’s get some actual numbers on public opinion about protests before you say they’ll never work.

Numbers. I want them.

8 Likes

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, there it is folks, right out of the horses mouth.

The way I see it.

18 Likes

Yes, your sixteen replies to this thread during the last two hours makes it very obvious that you don’t care about this topic at all. :rolling_eyes:

So you’re saying, here in this topic that you don’t care about and which is about anti-Milo protests; you’re saying that people should be using tactics more like Milo? Milo is seriously the exemplar you’re going to raise as a standard to which people should aspire, here in this topic about protesting against him?

Yeah, we’ll get right on that.

This conversation is pointless. Particularly since you have no serious suggestions to make.

19 Likes

You mean numbers from pollsters that said Trump would lose?

States are what matter. You already have a few large cities on your side. You need to convince states not a bunch of people that already agree with you. That’s a shortcoming of relying on statistics. Most voters never get polled in a meaningful way. I would have hoped that you’d have learned that by now. Republic, not democracy.

Now, which message do you think those people in the separate states are getting from the protest pictures? The people in the blue cities are probably seeing your message, the rest are seeing broken things.

Misrepresenting what I say just makes you dishonest.

I didn’t say that I don’t care about the topic. I said I don’t care if you take my advice on the topic.

I didn’t say Milo is seriously the exemplar. I said he is getting his message out using different methods than you.

Twisting my words is not a valid argument. It’s just,twisting my words. And that’s probably why BB is an echo chamber.

The brick thrower is likely paid to throw the brick, to disrupt the protest, to cause it to be shown in a bad light on the news. To horrify and terrify the gentle population at large, to show them that activism is awful, dangerous, despicable, and UnPatriotic.

Don’t trust your vision when you see little isolated cells of brick-throwing type behaviour. Or pulling down a McDonalds sign.

Yes, crowds can go out of control and do stupid things, when mob mentality takes hold (see London riots just a few years back).

What does a real riot look like? Look to the Rodney King riots. Now that’s truly out of control, and note how everyone looks bad - the rioters, the enforcement agencies - no-one wins politically because that sort of thing provides ammunition to both sides of the fence.

So protests need organisation, rules, identification of ne’erdowells, and containment of them. Not, of course, by the police.

Non-violent does not mean the popularised media imagery of stoned and tripping hippies rolling their eyes at cameras, dribbling out tepid phrases of residual resistance. Btw - ever noticed how that kind of media portrayal made it into your classroom? Out of the millions of demonstrators over time, that’s the popular image. Weird, eh?

Non-violent means simply non-violent. There is no need. Look to Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Mandela. Look at the enormous impacts they had. So little violence.

Besides, violence - you’re just going to get the National Guard called in. And that is called throwing the match. You lose, and open the gates to an authoritarian crackdown.

13 Likes

BB is an echo chamber?

You’re here now. Don’t quit on us. Stand up and have the clear argument. Don’t obfuscate. Don’t back down. If you’ve got spine, show it.

The thing that has most impressed me about BB is balance. The ability of people to discuss with mutual respect, whatever their mode of expression.

That respect leads to a clear understanding of character and intent. There are some bright, and very funny, characters around here.

So please, settle in, don’t insult anyone, and let’s see what it is you have there.

13 Likes

Thank you.

6 Likes

That’s all true of course. It’s why I said that the protests attract violence. The violent group(s) were known tonight.

They’ll be back. They’ll take away the message. They don’t care about the organization, rules or the containment.

It may be wrong, but it’s still guilt by association. I still recommend to avoid it.

I asked for your suggestion. You suggested Milo as an example. That makes him your exemplar. He is the one you chose to use as an example. That’s what the word ‘exemplar’ means; check a dictionary.

exemplar
ɪɡˈzɛmplə,ɛɡˈzɛmplə/
noun
noun: exemplar; plural noun: exemplars
a person or thing serving as a typical example or appropriate model.

(Sigh. Dictionary.com links don’t seem to onebox. Google’s definition is copied above, instead.)

Edit: Actually, my original question was rhetorical. The answer was already implied by the question, and your dodging it has been noted. No further response required or expected, unless you’re now implying that you think that Milo isn’t an appropriate example for people to follow. In which case, that would be a useful thing to mention.

4 Likes

How is it guilt by association? From where I sit, only trussed-up anxiety cases would worry about vicarious guilt being cast on them by their equally trussed up neighbours.

See, if you were an ardent Trump supporter, you would seek to disseminate the message that participation in any form of resistance is to be avoided. That it’s best to sit quietly at home and quietly read a calming book.

But 50 years after the multiple uprisings and protests, in many countries, including behind the iron curtain, we are all more sophisticated and educated in the interactions between the media, politics, protesting and basically, how to respond to danger and cause change.

So ‘guilt by association’ rings like a phrase a character like Trump, Bannon or Spicer would really like to imbue into middle class minds to help disorient and fragment support for protest.

I’m no anarchist - as I’ve made clear to the BB world - but I’m a firm believer in the right to protest and have your voice heard.

So please, home in on ‘guilt by association’, and educate me on precisely what you mean, and your intent behind the phrase. Then we can get on to the real debate.

12 Likes

Oh, this is about me?

In that case, you should flag my post; civility must be maintained.

You absolutely should flag my post where I used the word “exemplar” to describe your use of Milo as an example. The mods will absolutely go for it; you’ll totally win that fight. You’re totally in the right, and I’m totally in the wrong. Ignore what it says in the dictionary; call it twisting your words, and they’ll totally ban me.

Go on, do it. DO IT.

10 Likes