The best video games of this young century

Oh, it must be Skyrim then… scroll, scroll, scroll… ah. Well, that’s an arrow to the knee.

I just finished Bloodstained. Any others you’d recommend?

2 Likes

I really liked Majora’s Mask and Deus Ex, but can I be pedantic and point out that 2000 is not a part of the 21st century, it’s the last year of the 20th century. I really though we had settle this.

5 Likes

Rocket League is perfection in my mind. Good list though.

2 Likes

Hollow Knight is insanely good and I’m eagerly awaiting a sequel coming “soon”. Axiom Verge has some neat mechanics. Blasphemous, which just came out a week or two ago, is fantastic (though it’s also crazy gory and I can’t play it when my kids are up).

6 Likes

I feel like with a certain genre of ultra-epic game (GTA, Elder Scrolls, Red Dead Redemption), each volume is so different, massive, and culturally influential that they can each stand to be included on a list like this, even if they share a title. I imagine if this list was expanded to 75 or 100, you’d definitely see GTA 3 and possibly Vice City on there as well.

Yeah, they are very different games. 4 is somehow less sarcastic and cynical than most GTA games. 5 went back to the cynical satire well and added GTA Online on top of that. Heck, GTA 5 was released nearly 6 years ago and it still makes it on the top selling games charts.

Thanks, I’ll probably pick up Hollow Knight next.

1 Like

Bah, any list that does not contain Super Cobra Arcade (2017) is not worth anything…

3 Likes

I wore my angry hat out on their ridiculously hipster/arthouse/niche "Best Movies of the 21st century so far" and the woeful “Best Albums of the 21st etc.”

1 Like

A couple that I’d probably add: Civilization IV, Final Fantasy X, Fallout 3, Metroid Prime, and Portal.

1 Like

4 Likes

#46 on the list. Right near the top.

2 Likes

Some really good ones… and Wii Sports. (Wut… I mean it was fun and all but it was a glorified tech demo.)

2 Likes

Lots of people seem very enthusiastic about Guacamelee and its sequel. Environmental Station Alpha also has its fans but is considerably less well-known.

And yet, no one really seems to have done it better. Reckon people might still be playing it for many years to come.

4 Likes

When people start saying “it’s the two thousandth and nineteenth year” instead of “the year two thousand and nineteen”, I’ll agree with you. Until then, no.

1 Like

Done what better? Nothing about it is particularly good or engaging. It’s fun for a little while but once the gimmick wears off, it’s really nothing special.

No Total War title there either.

News stories would seem to suggest its popularity endures, at least among seniors and the like. It could be that it’s just because it’s the pack-in game and that for some people, trying to find an alternative would be too much of a strain, considering there’s such a wide selection of Wii software and so much of it is genuinely awful.

My parents are still playing it and enjoying it 13 years after it came out. As a sports game, it’s definitely simplistic, but it absolutely broke down barriers, making video games completely unintimidating for anyone. It popularized the Wii, was a breakthrough in using motion controls, and is easily one of the most iconic video games of the last 20 years.

3 Likes

Grand strategy and 4x seem to have gone unnoticed. No Civ(or Endless legend/space if you are too cool for the mainstream)? Two GTAs and a bunch of “Of Duty”; but no Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, or Stellaris?