Most disappointing video games ever

[Permalink]

Article fails to mention:

We were promised a game and were given, well, it mostly involves ET dying through various unintended actions. But it certainly wasn’t a game. Games are fun.

8 Likes

My disappointment? Realizing that the article thumbnail wasn’t a screenshot of a new Battletoads game…

9 Likes

what the fuck is this even?

3 Likes

Wait… the article’s complaining about one of five million player-generated mods to Skyrim as the basis for it being a “disappointing game”?

After the last few articles linked here, I’m gathering that Quarter to Three is the new SomethingAwful.

11 Likes

No Daikatana. This list is bunk.

3 Likes
1 Like

Most disappointing Rob Beschizza post ever.

15 Likes

I’m now trying to picture the person that decided their mod for Skyrim would be a mash-up of Kingdom Hearts, Spiderman, and Zelda… So much teenage-ness in those choices, but they are so dated that it must be an adult.

2 Likes

And while we’re at it, no Custer’s Revenge? The game is certainly a disappointment, only surpassed by the entire concept of the game.

Also, I never played it, but watching the videos I’m pretty sure this should have been in the running:

2 Likes

Actually, it’s not a famous disappointment, but the biggest one I experienced personally was Omikron:

It promised a mix of a bunch of different game styles, FPS, Adventure, Puzzles, and even street-fighter styled Fighting games.

It ended up being very much a case of: Jack of all trades, master of none.

1 Like

The Daily Pennsylvanian called Catfight the “number one sexist game ever created”

Obviously, they never played some of the Japan-only PC Engine games like “Strip Fighter 2”.

I mean, I haven’t either. Ahem.

2 Likes

Yars’ Revenge!?!?! Ridiculous! That is the greatest Atari 2600 game!

7 Likes

clearly they never PLAYED the Pandaria expansion of Warcraft, it’s just some gratuitous Warcraft hate… Mists of Pandaria was a beautiful expac, with some really great story threads. and the harshing on Yar’s Revenge disqualifies this list at the get-go.

4 Likes
1 Like

I find this very hard to believe!

8 Likes

This is the internet. Every list is bunk.

2 Likes

Some are more bunk than others.

3 Likes

This is just low-effort snarky clickbait.

My personal list would have to include:

• Spore: the only game I’ve played that was less fun than its demo
  • all Rainbow Six games after Raven Shield
  • that Shadowrun game that was a mediocre FPS for some reason
  • Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor which was buggy as all get-out, had a useless minimap and could wipe your hard drive when uninstalled
  • The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall which was even buggier, where arriving in any town at night would cause you to be immediately arrested for vagrancy, and where an enemy twitching its arm and saying “eh” was often the only warning you had of instant death followed by a crash
3 Likes

Seconded on Amiga Epic, @daneel

Right down to how the awesome use of Holst’s Mars on the trailer/demo ended up replaced with that original soundtrack, which just wasn’t that great.

There appears to be no youtube of the Amiga-Holst demo, but it looks like they left it in the Atari ST version, where the graphics were marginally less swanky. (jump to 50)