The brain-tingling world of ASMR collides with science fiction

Eeeeeuuurrrggghhh. Not good for me. Never liked that stuff unless it had that Spy Hunter / Peter Gunn vibe going on. Or Moon Patrol.

Anyway, none of the ASMR noises I find pleasant. It’s all fingernails-on-blackboard for me, with the clicks and excessive presence… I don’t even like hearing hard-soled shoes walking on concrete sidewalks. And remember those videos of people making those miniaturized pretend foods, like with the wee french fries other inedibles made from tiny packets you mix with water? Those videos also make my skin crawl, mostly because of those sounds.

2 Likes

Is there an ASMR test palette of some sort that I can listen to to figure out what might work for me?

1 Like

Merzbow

2 Likes

I found myself surprised that I liked the metal noises so much. I thought they’d be horrible. Then I found I couldn’t seem to turn it off.

I don’t really get the “amazing” tingles that so many people talk about. More of a pleasant feeling in my jaw and, oddly enough, soothing of a headache if I have one. Also strange: while I like the sounds ok, actually watching the video can make me feel kind of stressed.

How is there so little research on something so well established?

1 Like

I’ve been experiencing ASMR since I was a kid. Haircuts real or pretend from my sister, Bob Ross and my teachers talking. I didn’t even realize it was a thing some people didn’t experience until this community developed. Now I watch Ally, HeatherFeather and Cutebunny92’s video most often. I can be triggered off of guys voices but only when its unintentional. Videos by male ASMRtists do nothing for me for some reason. But my favorite trigger is by far ear covering,massage or cleaning. The tingles are so intense. Soft speaking is good but whispering is a little annoying.

That seems to fit the bill, but now I realize the word I should have used was ‘catalog’, so I can then call up similar instances of the sounds I need. Grrr.

A foley library?

All aboard!

Woo woo!

My personal theory is that it’s a kind of euphoric response brought on by a psychological retreat from the initial dysphoric response to the annoying noises.

People should try zen or yoga or exercise or a goddamn cup of tea and a sunset like the rest of us! Get off my lawn you punk kids!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.