The classic BIC 4 color pen

Any other suggestions for things to discretely play with in class?

I’ve seen kids fidget productively in class with small bean bags, hackey sacks, rings, rubberbands, thick yarn or felt, a tiny cube of modeling wax… But I’ve also taken away all of those kinds of things, e.g. if a kid throws it, persistently talks about the item with neighbors, or swings it from a string. I’m happy to ignore items that don’t make noise or make a mess, don’t bounce or roll away or click on the floor when dropped, and that don’t appeal to any other kid in any way at all. For older kids I recommend fidget rings a lot (and use my own on a regular basis!)

2 Likes

And here I thought it was for a lanyard. I forgot all about pen dialing. Haven’t had to do that in a while.

1 Like

On the contrary, these are very comfortable (or were back in the 70s). I always preferred the thicker-barreled pens; thinner pens made my hands cramp up (decades before the onset of my RSI).

The ink was scented too, which helped those of us that were trying to ween themself off their fresh-photocopy-sniffing habit.

1 Like

I got a three-pack of these pens and a fifteen-pack of their cartridges. Writes nicely, but I’m ultimately disappointed: the barrel is “jointed” to the clicker apparatus and after much use they’ve begun to bend and crack apart. Maybe I just squeeze my pen too tightly? Ink also runs out fast and runs when wet.

The BIC is solidly crafted, and there is also another version with alternative colors pink, purple, light blue and light green. Two pens - eight colors - found the combo exceptionally handy for mathematics courses.

Hey, I can quit anytime I want. You want a hit off this zine when I’m done with it?

1 Like

I used to use my Bic 4-color pen to create masterpieces like this during my algebra class!

13 Likes

Get on my level, scrubs

3 Likes

in the 70s my grandfather who taught at university had these and I just loved playing with them as a little boy.

I keep a similar one in my carryall bag now, cant remember the brand.

Wow. That is a masterpiece. Cool!

I use this exact BIC pen to record my hours on a time sheet. This co.'s logo is red, that one blue, green for the green energy folks, black for others (also sometimes use a pencil, depending on if my kids have walked off with my trusty 4 banger).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.