The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library

Originally published at: The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library | Boing Boing

4 Likes
2 Likes

I literally (ha!) learned to read from Carl Barks’ Uncle Scrooge comics (my brother always bought me one when he did his comic book run in the early 70s). I also remember being really really mad at him for throwing one of my favorites across the room so violently it ripped apart in mid-air (brothers!). At the time I remember it being worth “a lot” of money (to 7-8yr old me); but in hindsight I was never going to sell it anyway.
Years later my Dad bought me a huge white hardback Smithsonian Collection of Carl Barks stories. I think it was the first time that teenage me realized my Dad had ever actually paid attention to my interests.
Decades later my wife surprised with with a 3-volume collection of Carl Bark’s Uncle Scrooge works. And then later surprised me again with Don Rosa’s “Complete Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge.”

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s correct to say that Fantagraphics changes the Carl Barks’ comics for modern sensibilities. They wrote a blog post in 2015 called “Reflections on Banned Books Week” that explains clearly their philosophy behind NOT doing so.

1 Like

When I was a small bobling, I had an intense reaction to certain illustrations, where they would make me feel sort of happy but also sad, but really an emotion I can’t name and haven’t felt since I was smol. I don’t know what that was all about. Anyway I remember Disney comics by this guy (or an imitator) evoking that response.

There was also a spooky, vaguely EC-ish freebie comic of some kind, and a Marvel Transformers comic, and a Thomas Kincaid-adjacent illustration of a magical woodland scene on a flyer for some Cornish tourist attraction. Also sunsets; I think it was partly to do with color.

2 Likes

If you happen to read Finnish you can buy collected work of Carl Barks for about 1000€.
medium_item_1027155_ee3006e6ac

Between me and you I’m more of Don Rosa fan.

4 Likes

Ruben’s following tweets give examples of the changed dialog:

“Mob” becomes “bunch”, and “one Indian” becomes “one”

2 Likes

I have one large Uncle $crooge book printed by Celestial Arts in 1987. It is always fun to pick up and re-read.

2 Likes

I understand both views on this. From a historical perspective, it’d be nice if the dialogue wasn’t changed, but the point of these editions is to publish works that can be enjoyed by modern audiences, and the original dialogue would not be palatable to many I know.

2 Likes

II is often at the KC Planet Comic Con. I think I irked him this year by putting some of my stuff on his table while getting some signatures by Jim Steranko. I apologized!

If you want an autograph next year, I could probably get it.

2 Likes

I have eaten chili grown by him. He’s a rock star around here so I have it. Sadly it isn’t on The Don Rosa Archives Vol. I: The Pertwillaby Papers nor The Don Rosa Archives Vol. II: The Adventures of Captain Kentucky.

2 Likes

Well he seems to come to the KC convention every year around spring. I am guessing he has a good relationship with the con. So if you want to rectify that, let me know, I can make it work. I was getting signatures for 4 different people with Steranko, so I am more than happy to help out fans who can’t attend.

No need he comes to Finland regularly. Thanks anyway.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.