The Concorde will fly again! (maybe)

It was one of those cold war we-R-better things, but I remember the MOD considered buying a few extras for getting back into strategic bombing even though that kind of bombing was already deprecated. There was a huge Russian effort to get any tricks or tips in making the Tu-144, I think they shmeared something like silly putty on the runway to trick the Ruskies on the composition of the tires.

1 Like

Braniff had a monorail at Love Field before the move to DFW. I never got to see it; that was shortly before we moved to the area.

As of 1999 you could still wander through the disused parts of the terminal and see old signs pointing to Braniff, Texas International etc. Southwest had office space in one part of the terminal; in the downstairs area there were still abandoned barber shops, restaurants etc. that seemed to have remained as-is since the 1970s. Dennis Gonzalez once mentioned that in the late 1980s, there was a recording studio in the former terminal where he recorded a couple of albums.

1 Like

I canā€™ help thinking of

ā€œPDQ Bach -Introduction To Capriccio La Pucelle De New Orleansā€ in which Schickele is parroding those live classical recordings that famously incorporate the odd streetcar outside the theater,

1 Like

I had to look that one up! But now that you mention it, no (discernible) airport noise on Gonzalezā€™ albums.

Ah, hereā€™s the place (about halfway down the page).

1 Like

Interesting that you, of all people, might pick that particular vehicle out of a world of ebay items to display.

Hmmmā€¦somebodyā€™s cleaning out the garage!! :notes:

Hey, I just grabbed the first Total Waste Of Three Grand I could find there. No surprise it was a Pinto.

Were I to clean out my garage that way, itā€™d probably go for a bit more than three grand.

2 Likes

mutterā€¦mutterā€¦twitch

ā€“warily eyes the sceneā€“

Yeah, yeah man. Iā€¦uhā€¦I know how you feel.

2 Likes

Ooohhh, thatā€™s pretty.

1 Like

As my travels tend to be accomplished in the substantially cheaper berths, Iā€™m definitely not a candidate for flying on the new Improved (!) Concorde, although Iā€™d happily go and watch it take off and landā€¦from a suitable spot. Besides, I donā€™t know how much of a need there is for such travelā€“did the super-rich run out of outrageously overpriced seating of a sudden?
But hey, Iā€™m an aviation fan, so let 'er rip!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.