Supersonic: a glorious new art book about the Concorde airplane

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/24/supersonic-a-glorious-new-art.html

…

4 Likes

The air museum in Seattle has one. I was surprised at how small the interior space is.

7 Likes

It’s pretty shocking to be sure. Definitely not the kind of luxury I would have expected from such an expensive flight. Very narrow and cramped seats.

2 Likes
3 Likes

All things Concorde, weird.

2 Likes

Sorry to be picky, but it’s β€˜Concorde’, not β€˜the Concorde’. The designers made a big deal of that distinction.

2 Likes

Tell it to the model of the Concorde I made out of legos.

6 Likes

The photo’s not mine, but I grew up with one of these mixed in the cupboard with our Corelle and Burger King collectibles :slight_smile:
1128116625_ggld

5 Likes

I remember hearing Rush Limbaugh chiming in just after the crash of Air France Flight 4590 in 2000 (though for the life of me I can’t for the life of me remember why I was listening to his show). His takeaway from the tragedy was β€œyeah, I flew on the Concorde once and it’s not really as luxurious as people make it out to be.”

Thanks, I just went on a huge dive down a rabbithole about the crash of 4590 in Paris.

1 Like

The tangible luxury was time saved. Concorde was aimed at people who charge very large amounts of money per hour and who weren’t making it stuck on a 707 as it toiled for seven hours over the Atlantic.

The intangible luxury was that you could cough up Β£5k for a ticket (a number plucked out of thin air by BOAC) which put you in a different league to regular first class travellers.

Concorde was the last gasp of true glamour in aviation. It was also impossibly beautiful and why have I just ordered this book?

4 Likes

For your daily dose of the Concorde stuff.

2 Likes

A better title could have been Supersonique: The Concorde Years (1976-2003)

Or just, you know… Concorde: Complete β€˜B’ Sides.

2 Likes

That silverware set looked like the sort of design that so preciously valued appearance of use that I dislike it. That spoon looks borderline unusable. That bottleopener though, I LOVE it.

2 Likes

The aircraft is a thing of beauty. It’s interior is a thing of claustrophobia, even just walking through it.

I was on hand the day The Museum of Flight at Boeing Field received its Concorde. The aircraft is apparently heavier than it appears; the first tug they brought in to pull it close to the museum had too light a towbar, which broke under the weight of the plane. It took a good 45 minutes, as I remember, to get a new towbar and pull the poor aircraft into place. It was winter, everyone was cold, and no one really cared.

1 Like

http://www.concordesst.com

https://www.pprune.org/tech-log/423988-concorde-question.html

A magical beast.

2 Likes

That bottleopener deserve a fanclub by itself.

3 Likes

Which reminds me, I really need to find some post-millennials to talk to about technological progress:

β€œWhen I was a kid, technology was primitive. Reinstalling an operating system on my Mac took over 5 minutes, the world’s biggest spaceships could only take at most 7 people at a time to orbit and back, and the world’s fastest passenger plane took almost three hours to get from London to New York.”

5 Likes

Brainspore and MikeR make good points in reply, but also … people were on average thinner back then, I suspect.

And I love that Concorde-shaped bottle opener. Want!

There’s one selling on eBay right now. I’d buy it but I already have a drawer full of bottle openers that I don’t use.