The DNC picked a bunch of sleazy lobbyists as superdelegates, can't figure out why no one is donating

Choked by hubris and neoliberalism the DNC died today of clintonitis complicated by donor toadying.

7 Likes

Umm actually she does if the DNC wants my money or votes. If she’s been a newscorp shill that bar is going to be really high.
Any one involved in the political machine that wants anything from me not only owes me bonafides, explanations, and promises and but any pertinent information I ask them for.

18 Likes

A shame she threw out that goodwill by taking Rupert Murdoch’s dime.That certainly requires an explanation.

What do you think would prevent her from becoming a normal delegate from NH in a more legitimate system that didn’t have superdelegates?

14 Likes

LMAO

Dems

Repubs

BOTH owned by the same corporations???

say it ain’t so!

5 Likes

ITT more crap about how great Bernie is, how unjust superdelegates are. Bernie, who is not even a Democrat. Superdelegates, who were put in place because of McGovern. Superdelegates are there so that a sure loser, like McGovern (or Bernie) cant win the primary and lose the general election.

But by all means, lets pick over this again and again and argue among ourselves about ideological purity while Trump wins reelection in 2020.

And, No, Hillary is not running in 2020-- so that cannot be the rationale for continued, ongoing Hillary hatred, post-2016.

It’s funny that you think you know the answer to that question, but by the way you ask the question you clearly don’t.

4 Likes

The biggest problem I see for the DNC is their lack of concern over local and state elections. They always want the federal seats (which are important but they don’t build the foundation of a good party) which is fragile and easy to topple simple majorities. They need to focus back on the Dean strategy and go back to the local and state positions if they want any hope of keeping control. It also means ditching the business friendly rhetoric and focus on fairness as one of the pillars of the party. If they can’t get that message out there then they’re going to continue to lose: money or no money.

13 Likes

This is very important. The GOP has been successful in large part because they’ve spent 30 years identifying and fostering talent, starting with the dogcatcher elections and working their way up to the Oval Office if they can. Having their people in the statehouses also helps ensure that cheats like gerrymandering and voter ID laws can be put in place and kept there.

In the same period, the Dems reacted by copying the RNC only by courting big-money donors, tacking to the right with Third Way neoliberal-lite policies, and approaching every Presidential election since 1980 with the hope that their candidate will have rare celebrity-level charisma like Bill Clinton or Obama instead of being cold fish like Mondale, Dukakis, Kerry, and of course Hillary Clinton.

11 Likes

Hey man, don’t worry about that, the lobbyists are coming to save us.

5 Likes

As opposed to a Hillary Clinton who would go on to lose the 2016 election to Trump?

9 Likes

And yet, for all of the angst about un-democratic nomination practices, I don’t see anybody complaining about the fact that 13 states (and three territories) use caucuses to nominate presidential candidates. Since these caucuses take place in the middle of the week and span the better part of a day, participation rates are very low, usually below 20%.

https://thinkprogress.org/america-is-supposed-to-be-a-democracy-so-why-do-we-still-have-caucuses-ffbbdf32caf9/

Why do you think that is, exactly?

5 Likes

Does this mean that they’re going to prevent the candidate who was incompetent and uncharismatic enough to lose to America’s most famous grifter in 2016 from getting the nomination again in 2020? They could emphasise that role for themselves just making that announcement en masse now.

7 Likes

Dude, she said she’s not running.

1 Like

I and others who oppose the superdelegate system also complain about things like that every four years. But as with all other complaints related to having nation-wide standards for primaries and elections, both party establishments (especially the GOP’s) don’t seem to care.

She was saying that right up until April of 2015, too. I’ll breath easier about this after April, 2019.

9 Likes

when the GOP grabs the virginia governorship, and wipes the floor in 2018, and donnie turns full fascist I think we’ll be in a much better position to…

Fox News and Bernie stans won’t stop keeping hope alive though. Fox, at least, has a motivation to do so; it benefits their side to keep the Hillary hatred flame lit.

4 Likes

This is not true. It was Moose and Squirrel.

6 Likes

Are you referring to the “incompetent” candidate who won the popular vote by 3 million? Are you also against the use of email? Give it up.

Your argument is pretty shoddy: "If a candidate loses, they were incompetent." It’s the same type of polarized illogic that surrounded her emails: “Hillary used emails, people! Email! She’s corrupt!”

And I’d have more sympathy for your second paragraph if your “solution” to the problems were not “More Bernie Sanders.” He’s not even a Democrat. But, even still, Hillary’s policy issues matched 90% of what Bernie was proposing.

2 Likes

Yes, because a competent campaign would have grasped the fact of the broken Electoral College (especially after the 2000 election) and therefore not neglected Wisconsin or taken Michigan and Pennsylvania for granted.

There were a lot of reasons for her loss, not all of them her fault. However, it does liberals and progressives no good to make excuses for the screw-ups and complacency of the Clinton campaign or those aspects of the DNC under Wasserman-Schultz, or for the party’s seeming inability to escape the bad practises that lead them to constantly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

14 Likes

An even shoddier argument is making a claim that my argument is a tautology when it isn’t. But feel free to keep ignoring the fact that Clinton didn’t campaign once in Wisconsin, amongst other goofs.

Cite where I made that argument, please. [hint: supporting Sanders-endorsed candidates != supporting Sanders in 2020]

7 Likes

I’d rather have a candidate who won the electoral college by 1 vote than a candidate who won the popular vote by a million. I don’t necessarily think Bernie would have won, but we know Clinton didn’t. While we can blame Russia for some of the failings of the DNC in this cycle, the simple fact is that there aren’t enough Russians kicking around to blame for losing the majority of the House, the Senate, gubernatorial offices, and statehouse legislatures. Something is clearly not working in their electoral strategy and maybe one of those things is presenting the appearance that the party is more concerned with a few high value individuals than their voters is part of the problem.

14 Likes