The "dumb TV" is almost dead

OK so some of the stuff I mentioned and some that I didn’t, like glare, viewing angles, overall brightness, etc. So that seems fair - I don’t know what the differences are “worth” in money but they do have different feature sets.

There’s something else that’s a little deliberately unfair about the comparison - monitors this big are rare so I would expect them to be “good” I guess - there’s not a big enough market to make multiple tiers of them sell to different market segments. The first tier an unusual product has is usually the high quality one, and if it becomes popular enough then you start making cheaper ones with less features.

On the other hand the TV is right in the middle of a common range and there are 100s or thousands of models at every price point - and I am sure you could find a $750 4k tv in this size range, and it would probably look a lot nicer than this TV.

It is still tempting to try though, for situations like I mentioned, where getting a good clear image trumps almost everything else and I don’t care too much about contrast, response time, input lag, etc.

2 Likes

this may be helpful-- haven’t actually watched it though.

Indeed. My wife wanted a big monitor. I advised her to pick up a 100 dollar used 40-50" LCD TV on Craigslist. (A dumb one of course)

The result is freaking sweet.

3 Likes

For all those fluent in German here’s a thread on reverse engineering a store brand smart TV I enjoyed immensely:

Their take on the Clubhouse app is available in English, too:

4 Likes

Many (if not most) TVs are designed around the 60fps standard, because that is the max for most modern video standards, so typically max out at 60hz. (more expensive ones may do 120hz or more for things like “motion blurring”) The “fade out” of the pixels is designed around those rates to avoid the “flicker” affect.

While for computer monitors, 60fps (60hz) is considered a mighty crappy monitor, and no gamer would go near it, and is at the border of causing headaches for people who stare at monitors all day for work. 90hz-120hz is pretty typical.

2 Likes

Every time I see Apple in this context, I think if they’ll brick your phone and screw up your TV, what’s next? I wouldn’t be surprised to see a huge waiting list for Apple cars, though. Their customers have become numb to the abuse.

Even Chromecast has issues now. I’ve used mine from a laptop, but since the rise of Google TV, they’ve decided that they’ll only support apps run on a smartphone. It’s a constant struggle to push back against demands from service providers to force customers into upgrades or changing the devices that they use to connect. I’m not going down the slippery slope of changing TVs every 5 years because they’re tired of supporting the older, less smart (invasive) ones.

6 Likes

Or if you like coffee.

8 Likes

if you’re a true coffee lover then you need to grow the beans yourself. :wink: I use only water I’ve made with primordial hydrogen and oxygen I gathered in the early Universe.

4 Likes

What joy! The TV would prefer not to if it can’t uplink stuff? Haven’t logged it (or wanted to!)

In other news it’s 2021^W347th Mar. 2020, so that means ATSC 3.0 is rolling out, so your podcasts can up and grab your collar from sidechannel to-do. (Or aspire to do so to 2023 when ATSC 1.0 support may end?) ATSC 3.0 in 2021: Why it's still early days for antenna TV's big upgrade | TechHive

Deployments map! (USA only. And Printable Korea.) Deployments - ATSC : NextGen TV
That leaves S- and T- DMB to be had in Asia, and… erm… Television in China - Wikipedia

Hm. Maybe the next issue of the RasPi Information or something can have the instructions for making 60-70" antennas that pull signals from the other side of the hill…and properly address choosing paintings to adorn the back of the set when not plied back for access.

4 Likes

except “flicker” went away with CRT’s, so refresh rate is irrelevant now except to hardcore gamers

1 Like

I’m using now an older computer monitor, so old that has DVI and not HDMI, and a newer TV both have a 24" FHD panel, and at what happen is that the older monitor is way better suited to be seen at smaller distances than the TV. The TV also has fewer image controls on things like gamma and colour temperature, so at the end to read text is better the monitor and not the TV.

2 Likes

No primordial oxygen. Like an apple pie, if you want oxygen you need to create a universe and then add time.

6 Likes

the adjective only applies to the first element of my list. I had to gather my oxygen from much later supernova remnants.

3 Likes

A few years back, we got a Keurig-clone, and were really disappointed. The original hotel Keurigs were pretty compact, and made what I experienced as decent coffee, though perhaps that was just a contrast to the earlier hotel coffee pod things. But the consumer market ones (both from Keurig and clones) all seem to be a lot bigger, a lot more trouble, and make annoyingly weak coffee, even if you pick the small-cup settings. (I haven’t tried the recommendations about "heat up the machine first by running a cup of water through it without making coffee.)

My French press works much better, isn’t much more work, and while I’m waiting for it to brew I go feed the cats or do dishes so it’s less of a time-waste. (And I’m not drinking enough coffee these days to use a Mr Coffee.)

But this is Boing-Boing, so we’re also supposed to say “And cold brew coffee is great!” for Cory.

2 Likes

I happen to have been making some coffee with a French press when I saw this response. Truth be told though, I did prefer when we were just using the press to filter our cold brew.

Has anyone had experience with this device?

yes yes, it is a review, but James Hoffman’s tastes are a bit too refined for my budget.

I have an electromechanical espresso machine that could use ground coffee or paper pods. The priming phase is specified in the manual because is used to put water in the circuit and clean the coffee holder.
https://www.gaggia.com/manual-machines/new-classic/
There are also automatic models with an lcd display, but even these models have to be cleaned and needs maintenance to make good coffee. Problem is, is freaking expensive
https://www.gaggia.com/automatic-machines/babila
For cheap version the Aluminium moka it’s the best.
https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/coffee-makers/moka/moka-express-911.html

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.