The Eagle Nebula's astonishing Pillars of Creation, now in infrared

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/08/the-eagle-nebulas-astonishin.html

10 Likes

omg it’s full of stars

13 Likes

My favorite section:

14 Likes

Beautiful. Just think. Way out there nothing’s even heard of “Trump”.

5 Likes

Christians (and other monotheists) are funny. They believe that whatever created THAT, is also concerned with us mortals over here not mixing fabrics, or drinking milk while eating lobster.

5 Likes

This image always gives me the distinct impression of being subject to gravity that is oriented ‘down’.

7 Likes

This makes me impatient for the James Webb Telescope, eager for next version of this galactic nursery!

I the only human delighted that the recent test of the infrared shield passed? It just needs a little testing and its turn for space.

Love this whole scene!

4 Likes

Reminds me of abalone diving

This is a wonderful thing.

Stunning - if only they could reduce the ‘star effect’ (though think what it’d look like if J.J. Abrams had taken the picture :wink: )

1 Like

But on the Gripping Hand…

I’ve always wondered who decided the image should be this way up. If you turn it to different angles, you get different illusions. E.g. flip it by 180, and it looks like smoke rising from a group of burning rocks. Or turn it on it’s side and it looks like sea otters playing.

But would it have become such an iconic image if NASA had first presented it rotated say 60 degrees from the usual view?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.