The evolutionary reason why dogs walk in circles before lying down

Now tell us why dogs scratch beneath them like mad before they lie down for the night? My wife claims it’s to dig themselves a hollow in the ground. So far this hasn’t worked for Ben, although he has worn the nap off the cover of his dog-bed. The other dog, Blake, doesn’t seem to do this. He just jumps up on the settee. He doesn’t turn around three times either, unless someone else happens to be sitting on the settee. Then he’ll turn around a dozen times and try to get underneath them.

2 Likes

By their feet is where they would see and smell their most immediate threats, distant threats would be heard or scented, most breeds do not have great vision.

Wow, I never heard of that! Is it any good?

Separately, there’s no mystery here re. the lovely doggo in @pesco’s gif, at least. He’s walking around in a circle looking down at that tiny fluffy thing, wondering “Where the hell’s the rest of my bed?”

5 Likes

That dog needs a bigger bed!

2 Likes

tenor-1

3 Likes

A friend had a dalmatian who refused to give up his puppy bed even when he had a lovely new bed, he ended up chewing away most of the sides to fit his legs through the holes, the bed eventually disintegrated. A sweet dog but not the brightest.

1 Like

Only if they’re in danger of falling asleep on top of a bear. Let’s not forget that wolves are effectively apex predators in their natural habitat.

Neither action, of course, requiring movement on the wolf’s part.

1 Like

Dogs are doing it to copy the cats, because if cats are doing it then it must be important.

Cats are doing it to trolley the dogs.

4 Likes

Predators are not necessarily the problem, a snake or scorpion is not a predator of large mammals but it could ruin a sleepy dog’s nap, so could any number of insects, wasps, ants for examples or even plants.

Precisely, so what they are doing is looking at the very local environment.

Hell.  

Why do dogs walk in circles before lying down?

Easier than walking in triangles.

3 Likes

Great, now they can work on why Derpy the Wonder Dog likes to dig at my carpet for five minutes before laying down.

2 Likes

I only saw the first few episodes. As a fan of film noir, it was funny - not the level of Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid - but cute.

1 Like

Definitly to pack the ground , after all they are the predator.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.