The existential endtime pleasures of watching silent restoration videos

I just came here to say I had that Tonka toy in the last video, and now I feel like my childhood is something dug up from Sutton Hoo.

For those looking to remove rust:

Warm vinegar will attack rust. A cheap dollar store pot and a hotplate will work wonders.

Best way to remove rust is reverse electroplating, which chemically removes only rust and nothing else. Easy to do at home.

Easiest way to remove rust is soda blasting in a cheap media blaster for delicate things, fine features, or aluminum, sand blast with black beauty grit for heavy steel rust removal. Barrel Blaster is a good company to look at- its not as expensive to get into as youd think.

If you need to create rust, like rusting out a drill bit in brass (watchmaking technique), a dropper with iodine, or bleach, on a hotplate with rapidly attack steel, and if you scratch at it every once in a while, you can get a very tiny broken steel drill out of microscopic holes this way.

One of my favorite tool restoration channels is Scoutcrafter, who manages to put up a new video almost every weekday. He often includes the history of the bygone companies that produced the classic handtools he works to restore.

Speaking of glass, Iā€™m captivated by the live demos from the Corning Museum of Glass. They have artists in residence and some of the final products are absolutely amazing. https://www.cmog.org

Check out mustie1 on youtube if you really like watching dead engines be brought back to life. He is a New Hampshire mechanic with a huge talent in small engines and VWs in particular. Watched him drag a VW that had been sitting in the woods for 40 years back to his shop and he had the engine running in a a few hours (minutes of screen time). He also designs and builds custom motorized bikes (like mopeds) which is apparently a thing in NH. Great guy and very personable and easy to watch.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.