Watch this guy turn trashed tools into treasures

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/25/watch-this-guy-turn-trashed-to.html

6 Likes

Totally Awesome!

4 Likes

It’s probably just me, but I prefer the look of the tools in their unrefurbished state. Remove any obvious dirt and corrosion, but leave the scars and patina as testimony to a lifetime of honourable service.

Then ideally, keep on using them.

10 Likes

wow, so impressive and gorgeous. i actually preferred the cleaned up one in its unpainted state. all that pretty, shiny metal.

3 Likes

That moment when you see it completely restored, painted and polished.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Personally, I think I would be inclined to simply keep it in working order.

But in this fellow’s case, I’m unsure if the goal isn’t so much just the completed looks, but also the process and satisfaction. It’s transformative, healing, renewed life… for the tool, and maybe even on a… personal level??

5 Likes

I presume its just a choice the person made for the video. I’d say its probably more common to see videos of restorations where all that’s done is take the grime and rust off. Going a step further to paint, polish, refinish, etc is something not many will do so seeing that in action is interesting and cool.

1 Like

I also watch this French guy’s videos — same idea, a little more low-tech: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIGEtjevANE0Nqain3EqNSg

Just restored a tangle of audio tape found in a tree. Anyone know what it is? Starts when I press play.

3 Likes

This guy restores old Matchbox cars. Very relaxing and well produced.

2 Likes

Back when I was a bartender I turned trashed tools into inmates. This looks like it takes more skill.

Also, not true. I never got anyone arrested. Definitely thrown out on their asses, though.

2 Likes

Some tools can just never be fixed… throw them out.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree, and I wasn’t criticizing the guy in the videos. It’s his hobby, he has a perfect right to do what he wants, and the videos are fascinating. It’s certainly better than tossing them in the garbage.

But his beautiful restorations bring the tools to a level of finish that they never had even when new, so they are likely destined to sit on a display shelf rather than ever seeing use. Again, go for it. It’s a matter of personal taste.

Aesthetically I like to see a well-cared-for tool showing signs of being used. I have some old rescue tools from estate sales and flea markets. I like the mottled grey patina that steel has after the rust is wire-brushed away.

I also like the idea that a former owner worked with the tools (who were you, JN?) and that someone else may use them after me. No doubt JN would tell me to stop being a sentimental idiot and get on with it. :grin:

1 Like

I LOVE THIS GUY! And there’s so many men (why only men?) that are doing this. Some talk. Some don’t. Some put text on the screen to explain what they’re doing … and sometimes what they’re feeling. Some speed up the frames showing their work steps, some don’t. Some have interesting music; some don’t.
I’ve spent many a happy hour in the gloom of winter looking at these videos.

1 Like

Likewise, i believe in the antique world restorations will often depreciate the value of the item if it is something in demand. Small tools like this may be different, that can likely wasn’t worth much to begin with, but the resto is actually looking like it could have value.

2 Likes

These are fun to watch, and the methods are straightforward enough that I catch myself thinking, this could be a hobby of mine.

Then I realize that to fix this one tool he is using—what, a hundred other tools? None of which I have.

2 Likes

I think if someone were to take the time to restore a tool to this extent they might be inclined to not use it as much, it being too nice and all. So i’m with you with fixing it up to get it looking good enough.

1 Like

Me too.

1 Like

A bit more masking, and he could have indicated what sort of oil could be used and had room for a grip coat.
2 major solvents observed (solvent wash table, the stuff to de-rust the inside that seemed organic rather than KOH (aq.),) plus vinegar, water, was also generous with the citrus-based goop. Given the handle thickness I’m still surprised some of the dent pulling pulled openings in the body of the thing…pitched bc. it was worn through too many places. Must’a gotten to the field service kits. [FIELD SERVICE character sits on their bag. Camera pulls back on a snowed-in town with clean concentrated solar supercritical steam systems, cuts to a street scene full of ice-crusted cold frames topped by a grown wood kinetic sculpture of some guy washing his feet in a shower with a water-fed buffer.]

4 Likes