Watch this guy turn trashed tools into treasures

It seems to vary a lot depending on the class of item being collected. In this case he has converted an antique oil can, worth a small amount to a collector of oil cans, to a shiny new can worth somewhat more to a different sort of collector. I don’t know if he sells his work, though.

Paintings can be cleaned and retouched, enhancing their value, but other items, especially museum quality artifacts, can have their value decreased. I’ve read that in the case of Japanese swords, even cleaning the rust off the tang (the part of the blade inside the handle) will completely destroy the value, since the rust is important to an expert for determining age and authenticity.

The concept has always appealed to me. I have a colourful antique plate that belonged to friends of my parents. At some point it was broken into about twenty pieces and someone cared enough about it to glue it all back together. We now have it in our dining room to hold fruit. All in all, I’d just as soon it had never been broken, but I don’t find I like it less because of the cracks.

1 Like

This is the sort of work we’ll get to do when the machines take over.
They will be very into heritage. Mark my words.

All that work on a tape dispenser and doesn’t recreate the sticker?

I was imagining him working in full latex gimp suit, shame it turned out to just be gloves.

I would have preferred the patina really. I rebuilt a motorcycle switch this weekend and cleaned the interior (mainly bits of insects and dust) but left the outside grotty dull – otherwise I would have to clean the whole bike.

He actually uses the restored oiler in his latest video (@9:04 https://youtu.be/ksCQqViwv2s)

1 Like

That’s great, i was just saying that a tool that’s restored too nicely won’t be used as much or as hard as another comparable tool.But if he does indeed give it regular use then good for him :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Just restored a tangle of audio tape found in a tree. Anyone know what it is? Starts when I press play.”

The beginning sounds like Hildegard von Bingen or some other medieval church chanting

Don’t know about the piano piece.

1 Like

Donno about the tape contents, but I really groove the Boards of Canada intro. :grinning:

Thought: maybe a recital tape?

1 Like

Here’s another YouTuber who restores old tools.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.