The FBI doesn't need Apple to give it a backdoor to encryption, because it already has all the access it needs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/27/the-fbi-doesnt-need-apple-to.html

2 Likes

tumblr_p36dps7izR1w97wono2_500

2 Likes

I think it does matter. And your are comparing two things here, that are not the same. Specifically

…the FBI is putting pressure on Apple to help them break into the phone of a mass shooter.

And

It also doesn’t matter anyway because — as Reuters pointed out this week — Apple already buckled under FBI pressure a few years and cancelled their plans to add end-to-end encryption to all iPhone backups in iCloud

The first part is referring to the FBI requesting “easy” access to a locked iPhone’s encrypted data. This is the information that is sitting on your phone, whether or not you back it up.

The second part is about accessing what “you decide” to back up to the iCloud service.

This is totally optional; and since everyone knows Apple has access to this information, you should treat it with a lot more care than what you have stored on your phone.

So… does it matter that Apple is denying granting the government a backdoor to the data on a locked phone? Yes… and a lot!

3 Likes

Citizens can still do their own encryption however most people don’t know how to do it themselves or wouldn’t bother. That said its still an option for those that are concerned about their privacy.

2 Likes

Have I missed something? I’ve noticed that in the “mainstream” media the government has said very little about Chinese mass surveillance. Probably because they think it’s a great idea and are working with their corporate partners to replicate it here.

Apple already buckled under FBI pressure a few years and cancelled their plans to add end-to-end encryption to all iPhone backups in iCloud

Wait, there are people with enough free iCloud space to back up their phones?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.