The FDA wants to ban use of tanning beds by kids under 18, to fight skin cancer

1 Like

Ah. I thought that the ban on banning would ban the bans which were already banked.

So, the proposed ban on banning will only ban bans of things that have not already been banned.

Sounds rather like banging the barn door shut and banding it after the band of horses have already left.

… And I think I’m starting to overstretch this theme, so I’ll stop arguing now.

2 Likes

You’re forgetting - people are stupid. The fact that people actually use tanning beds is proof positive of this. Common sense isn’t nearly as common as we would like to believe. We get an example of this, every time someone in Florida says, “Hang on. I’m going to try sumpin”.

Shouldn’t they have the freedom to do even stupid things? Who are you to think taking these freedoms away is a good idea?

Ask anyone who smokes, and has tried to quit, if they would rather that cigarettes never existed.

And let’s not forget…

Ask anyone who doesn’t want to quit.

Again, shouldn’t people be free to make mistakes?

Can all the do-gooders, stuff-grabbers and thing-banners get their own island, make it foam padded and safe, and move there? Make it a kickstarter project and I’ll even chip in.

I was under the impression that they lifted this ban several (10?) years ago. Am I flat out wrong, or is there something different about the composition of what we can buy here in the US?

Yeah, don’t ban tanning beds. Just put pictures of bad tans on all of them. That should sort the wheat from the chaff.

1 Like

Oh shit I woke up the Libertarians. Sorry, guys!

6 Likes

Can we just ban the people that use them? I hear Australia is nice? :slight_smile:

All good names for rock ‘n’ roll banneds.

If, just for argument, I wanted to open a salon where you can get a nice UVC (germicidal) tan, to go along with your high colonic radium irrigation, would that be OK?

Serial monogamists?

I used to know of couple of those. but they’re not answering questions anymore.

And what people are we talking about? Eleven-year-olds? The FDA is looking to ban tanning beds for those under 18. But we now know that the part of the human brain that governs making good decisions (the prefrontal cortex) doesn’t mature until we’re 25 (and that’s just an average), so as I see it, the FDA is short by about 7 years.

By which I mean people who repeatedly and/or indiscriminately have unprotected sex without prolonged commitment.

I don’t think that Charlie Sheen should be shamed for having HIV, or for his sex life, but it seems that the latter raised his risk for the former, in much the same way that tanning beds raise a person’s risk of getting skin cancer.

If those who use tanning beds should have to pay for their own medical treatments if they get skin cancer (the way @L_Mariachi suggested) then shouldn’t the same be said for serial monogamists and HIV (or other STIs)?

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. Had no clue what you were referring to.

Regarding Sheen, didn’t he had a public history of hiring prostitutes?

1 Like

More than likely. I try to give Sheen as little attention as he deserves, so I’m not up-to-date on all of his affairs.

I didn’t suggest that, I brought it up to point out that behaviour doesn’t have to directly affect others (secondhand smoke, nonvaccination) to affect others. No man is an island and all that. That’s what’s wrong with the “I’m not hurting anyone but myself” argument.

My apologies for misinterpreting. I thought that you were trying to suggest that those who choose to participate in such a high-risk activity should bear a higher burden in terms of health care costs. I was just trying to say that it’s not fair to do such a thing for tanning without also doing it for other voluntary high-risk activities as well.

1 Like