The FDA wants to ban use of tanning beds by kids under 18, to fight skin cancer

[Read the post]

1 Like

7 Likes

The number of people who need to tan is exactly zero. Considering what it does to your body, itā€™s more in the nature of an unnecessary medical procedure. I wouldnā€™t mind if they were banned for everyone.

6 Likes

Yea, except then youā€™d have to live in the country that banned tanning. Even a lefty like me thinks thatā€™s too much government.

7 Likes

There are skin conditions for which UV therapy is effective, but using a tanning bed for those is sort of like guzzling pitchers of Screwdrivers to address a vitamin C deficiency.

3 Likes

Agreed.

Mandating vaccines is understandable: unvaccinated people can affect public health.

Restricting smoking is also understandable: second-hand and third-hand smoke carry similar risks to non-smokers, compared to the risks of actually smoking.

But tanning beds affect only the people who use them. Slap all the warning labels you want on them, make sure that people are competent to make the decision to use them, but a ban goes too far.

4 Likes

Are they going to be paying all their medical bills in full out of pocket?

But the reason not to ban tanning beds is that it would be pointless. People would just go lie in the uncontrolled sun, without shutoff timers, without anyone monitoring to make sure they donā€™t fall asleep for an hour and burn. I have to think that alternative is even unhealthier than a tanning salon.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the classic drown a cold/drown a fever defenseā€¦

3 Likes

Not unless skydivers, motorcyclists, smokers, couch potatoes, serial monogamists, and anyone else who has a lifestyle or leisure activity that increases their risk of needing medical care are made to do the same.

ETA: An enlightened society should have people picking each other up when they fall. Even if they were doing something damned stupid that probably contributed to, if it didnā€™t outright cause, the fall.

10 Likes

Donā€™t worry, in a while we will police each other to keep up our citizen scoreā€¦

3 Likes

I think the problem is lying under a tanning bed is like lying under 3 suns, at least outside your limited by whatā€™s there, not by how many watts your machine is rated for. Tanning bed tan vs beach bum tan are like 2 shades apart on the who are you trying to impress scale

1 Like

I get my protein through rum 'n egg nog. Veggies through caesars.

3 Likes

Iā€™m good with that. We ban lots of things. Sassafras oil is banned in the US for health reasons. So is haggis. Casu marzu, a type of cheese, is banned. What does it take for a cheese to be banned in the cheese-loving USA? Well, itā€™s made with unpasteurized milk (banned from selling in the US), and fly larva. Living fly larva. Yeah.

We banned lawn darts and those boxes of small, ā€œbuckyballā€ magnets. We banned Ephedra as a weight-loss drug. Real Absinthe has long been banned in the US.

I donā€™t think adding tanning beds to the list is going to destroy the country.

#####(haggis isnt banned, it is the sheep lung as part of a ā€˜pluckā€™ that is not legally sellable for human consumption. You can still get them though :D)

3 Likes

wat? Those ainā€™t banned.

http://www.supramagnets.com/5mm/12-original-edition-new-neocube-0094922873316.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAndSzBRDp5P232v-qtHkSJABw-VdtpGF3MfabIRifkLE_B1xS_-cbwjQhnl4E642cWHlKfRoCz2rw_wcB

You must be south of the equator, right?

Too many things are banned, and new ones are added virtually daily. Itā€™s time to ban banning. I for one am fed up with all the inane restrictions.

1 Like

But how can you ban banning if banning is banned?

Unless, of course, the ban on banning banning is itself banded to the ban on banning.

Iā€™m not sure that itā€™d be more than a band-aid fix, though.

5 Likes

Easily. At the moment of banning banning, banning is not banned yet, so the banning of banning is the last banning to be done before banning is banned.

Is it clearer now?

5 Likes

Unless itā€™s grandfathered in, the ban on banning will itself be banned by the ban of banning, and therefore, by banning the ban on banning, the ban on banning will be its own bane, and the ban on banning will ban banning the bans, thus killing itself with a bang.

3 Likes

Retroactively acting is frowned upon, hence the ban on banning will be grandfathered and not affected itself.