The glorious inelegance of the 1990s family computer

Back then, installing Windows 95 required loading and running dozens of hard disks

THREE POINT FIVE INCH FLOPPIES, YOU MISERABLE PHILISTINE.

…Wait, you had Myst? Myst was CD-only. Why did your dad get Win95 on floppy if you had a CD-ROM?

16 Likes

I mean, let’s be fair, the regulars are at least as gripey all the time. I know I am.

3 Likes

Sure is a lucky thing for this article that Myst wasn’t created on Mac Quadras using Photoshop 1.0 and QuickTime and the greatest program Apple ever released – HyperCard.

9 Likes

That’s how far I got in your comment, too.

3 Likes

Yeah but at least we understand we are not going to like everything posted and are fine with that and just moving on to the next post or just getting some more whiskey into our systems.

ETA also if you are gonna make fun of the article do something better that 'it sucks"

6 Likes

That reminds me of the way i really learnt MS-DOS on my first computer.

Was at uni and i broke my Windows install. Upon trying the CD i discovered my win95 CD was not bootable and the boot floppy supplied with it was not configured properly to load CD drivers…
As my only internet connection was a 20min bus ride away at the uni buildings it took me a a couple of days and a lot of bus rides to fix :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes
6 Likes

Today, attempting to find your computer games or fix your hardware for yourself is unheard of.

You, sunshine, are definitely associating with the wrong kind of people.

10 Likes

Everyone is crazy! I loved this article– so much nostalgia and well-written to boot.

6 Likes

thank you… i tried to read to the end… but i worked a full day at the office and the whiskey’s words had a stronger call

1 Like

I hate to think what you would make of my Thinkpad W700 that is by my bed.

Even if it isn’t up to the standards of old IBM Thinkpads, that machine isn’t brittle. It refuses to die. I’ll admit it is running Linux rather than Windows though (It does have Windows XP running in virtual machine if I need it).

Give me a Macbook Pro with a workable amount of USB ports, a Trackpoint and a Thinkpad keyboard, and I might think about switching.

8 Likes

Very right. The phrase “whatever Apple-branded miracle maker I’m using” got stuck in my craw on the way down. I used to love Apple – for sound design reasons – but that is now eclipsed by my horror at their walled gardens (gatekeepers like app store and itunes, and proprietary connectors, and drm), and turbulent os upgades and arbitrary hardware obsoleting.

These days, it’s ubuntu all the way for me. I remember Corey got there ten+ years ago, I’m catching up. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I didn’t guess at all. I only commented on what I’d already read.

5 Likes

Yeah that “hard disks” line tripped me up too. I remember getting Myst bundled in a 4x CD-Rom drive… If they bought a Dell, Windows would be installed anyway, and probably Myst too… It’s perfectly reasonable that a shitty Dell would come with the Win 95 on floppy disks and a few CD’s of other software. They were just passing along off-the-shelf hard ware with whatever software came with. I think the author just compressed some vague memories together; it’s evocative of the time period at least.

1 Like

Exactly. I’ve been using Ubuntu for… it has to be at least 8 years, maybe more (I was on Red Hat before that).

I have had some really great discussions with Mac fans, but they’ve always known their stuff and been willing to consider Mac critically. Usually we end up talking about *nix OSs.

3 Likes

Written by Brian Eno, I think.

3 Likes

Me, myself, and I.

2 Likes

They say "when you go Mac you don’t go back (well some similar alliteration) I disagree. As Apple have finally decided to gouge for whatever the market can stand and decided screw replacement batteries I’ve gone back. My sexy XPS 13 with a more modern looking OS will do nicely.

2 Likes

When I was a child, I thought that 3.5" floppies were hard disks.

They were, compared to 5.25" floppies. I didn’t know about internal drives at that point.

6 Likes

I totally agree! Having grown up in PC land, then falling into MAC as a photoshop/AE jockey, I share many of the same memories the author has. Sadly, now that Mac continues to sabotage their professional line, I’m for the first time in 10 years pricing out a new PC. I need the hardware flexibility, but I’m going to miss the “it just works” element.