The Google Maps "satellite" view was almost called "bird mode"

How many doctors worked on Google Maps?

2 Likes

I was objecting to the label “engineer’s syndrome”, not the application to Google Maps.

Though come to think of it… are you really objecting to a name being more accurate ? Please explain.

I just asked how many doctors worked on the subject matter covered in this thread.

Why would you ask me to explain, when there’s a whole thread about it here?

…because I don’t see an explanation of “why a more accurate answer is worse than a less accurate one” anywhere in that thread.

So classifying plane-derived aerial footage as ‘satellite’ is heresy; but ascribing a mixture of satellite and aircraft footage to birds is just honest clarity?

I think your pedantry needs a sanity check. Or, y’know better insistence on technical correctness in detail.

No doubt the lawyers put a stop to this.

2 Likes

If course, this is also how satellites see the world now, so “Bird Mode” seems a little more sympathetic.

4 Likes

Bing Maps offered something similar out of the gate, but I don’t think humor played into it…

(Can’t find a picture of that map now with a three country odyssey connecting two adjacent small towns in Norway.)

1 Like

I’m not an engineer, so I couldn’t explain it to you.

Considering my (admittedly anecdotal) experience with engineers as a breed apart from scientists, I find calling it “Engineer’s Syndrome” highly apt. Doubt (or rather the lack thereof in engineers) is the defining trait.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.