Google images removes "view image" button from search results

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/16/google-images-removes-view-i.html

7 Likes

Some of them even believe that having a photograph taken deprives one of one’s soul

16 Likes

Ixquick dot com still works same as yesterday.

11 Likes

This is the sort of thing that makes me annoyed that there’s no way to spit on a web page

10 Likes

I will never understand “tech.”

2 Likes

Couldn’t possibly have anything to do with this, could it?

The headline ignores the part where the photo was copied from a guy’s Instagram before being subsequently tweeted and embedded.

3 Likes

What annoys me more is that they removed the “Similar images” and “Different Sizes” links. I can still do it by copying the image location and tabbing to search by image, so the function is still there, they just made it more awkward.

10 Likes

Interesting choice of example image.

I wish you didn’t obscure the artist’s name, though. They deserve credit for their work.

4 Likes

No, that is terrible indeed, but this is because of a settlement with Getty Images from last week.

12 Likes

It’s right there in image description provided by Google Images! Perhaps you were … distracted.

I’ve added a link to their DeviantArt page for anyone else who would like to be … distracted.

14 Likes

For me, that means less pics posted to forums or message boards. I will not be clicking through to pages like giphy which try to prevent deep linking, or printerest which are basically unusable.

Funny enough, GBoard sports a gif search (which sadly doesn’t integrate with Discourse), making it possible to use giphy for chats etc. without their own app, or site. Let’s see, will they drop that as well? Bets, anyone?

ETA, to be clear:

6 Likes

OMG - I thought this was just me… that I entered some Black Mirror universe where the obvious button I was looking for was no long there…

17 Likes

Well, looks like I’ll have to right-click and save or open in a new tab. Not terribly inconveniencing, but still a little annoying.

3 Likes

taking a photo does take part of a soul , but it is a very small part !! it is akin to the few dead skin cells which may be transferred when one plays " got your nose "

9 Likes

Same. I was thinking, “Am I crazy? Was it never there and I just imagined it?”

2 Likes

Glad I used it while I was there, but dank meme creation is going to take a real hit over this folks.

Edit: I’m ashamed. It took me two whole minutes to figure out the workaround.

4 Likes

So if taking a picture takes a part of the soul, and old school movies are shot at 24 frames per second, what does that say about the soul of movie actors?

(And what about digital frames- do those take a bit of soul too?)

4 Likes

Add to the end of all image searches: -site:pinterest.* (the “*” is to avoid all their TLDs)

And never see that worthless site again.

19 Likes

Reminds me of this:
NES> lol

NES> I download something from Napster

NES> And the same guy I downloaded it from starts downloading it from me when I’m done

NES> I message him and say “What are you doing? I just got that from you”

NES> “getting my song back fucker”
http://bash.org/?104052

11 Likes

There’s a Chrome Extension for that.
Check out “View Image”: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/view-image/jpcmhcelnjdmblfmjabdeclccemkghjk

10 Likes