Google images removes "view image" button from search results

Hahaha took about five seconds for that to come around. Getty Images is staffed by idiots.

4 Likes

One for firefox too:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-search-view-image/

7 Likes

Teacher here. I’m sad. The changes do make it harder to quickly access high-resolution images (or sort images by resolution). This is a bummer because many teachers rely on Google Images for illustrative slides in lectures. This non-commercial, offline use has generally been ruled “fair use,” and I’ve always cited the source of images. But it is now a bit harder. Thanks for your workarounds, hivemind. (While I was typing some of you posted workarounds!)

10 Likes

Glad to use Qwant since yesterday.

On mobile. Four different browsers. And using Google via launcher for some stuff.

I thinks it would be easier to root and manipulate my hostfile, TBH. :.D

1 Like

I’m telling you people the earth revolves around the sun!

2 Likes

Came here to say this. As an anatomical sciences educator, I use a linguistics approach. Sometimes I can demonstrate a connection by doing a google image search.
“Hey guys, I looked up muscarine and here’s a weird mushroom!”
Or yesterday when somebody asked that tough question about secret cancer treatments, I was able to call up the XKCD cartoon about killing cancer in a petri dish being different from killing cancer in a human body in moments.

3 Likes

So, people behind pictures get mad about this and not about friggin pinterest & co.? Whenever you look for the real source of a given picture by using Google’s image search, you end up with 99% pinterest results instead of a way to know who made the image in the first place. I think that’s far more detrimental to creators than any “view” button.

7 Likes

Here is a Chrome Extension that adds back View Image button: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/view-image-button-for-goo/jfjcobdgpgnlhbibdbobbplehgkmjdni

1 Like

Ugh, Pinterest is a blight. Even outside of image results, searching for anything even remotely creative on Google returns an ocean of useless Pinterest links that more often than not don’t direct you back to the thing that got pinned in the first place. You know the situation is bad when Adam Savage is asking Twitter if there’s a way to just permanently excise the site from every search.

1 Like

heere ya go

I’m aware of the search command. I (and Adam, apparently) just wish there was a way to just tell Google “never, ever, ever show me any results from this website ever again and stop making me remind you every time I ask you for anything.”

8 Likes

I’ve been ranting to people about how pinterest has destroyed google image search for the last couple of weeks, and have been meeting with blank stares, or, “oh really? my daughter used Pinterest to plan her wedding, we loved it!”. I am so relieved to hear you guys’ pain, I thought I was going crazy. I would love and feel more catharsis from a native switch, but in the meantime, there has to be a relatively easy way to turn that search amendment into a browser plugin…

3 Likes

I find a lot of uses for tineye.com

4 Likes

Pinterest is the DEVIL.

As someone who’s constantly using Google Image search for reference and client materials, it has made my job far more difficult. I loathe it with a furious passion.

The removal of the View Image button, well, I can deal. I know how to get my images without a handy button sitting there. One big upside of this is that I’ll have far fewer incidents of clients sending me images to use that they ‘found’ on Google Images and think they can use, rights-free.

8 Likes

How is it that some people are still under the delusion that you can lock down files on the web? IF YOU PUT IT OUT THERE, IT’S OUT THERE. END OF STORY.

8 Likes

For every system, there is a way to circumvent that system.

Not for someone like me, a veritable ‘master of memes.’

I started my own image archive long ago; storing any images I find interesting, clever or useful, along with my own creations, of course.

7 Likes

Glad to have you on board. On mobile, I don’t do that. And on desktop, my collection is barely usable since it ain’t tagged.
BTW, if Google photos allowed proper tagging, at least my problems would be solved. :confused:

1 Like

If it bleeds, it can die. If it’s on my screen, I can steal it.

4 Likes

This has been known for a while.

4 Likes