The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

1 Like

Netflix’s suicidal self-own has begun in the USA.

No paywall: https://archive.ph/t6i2s

3 Likes
4 Likes

Same here in Brazil. People who share password will have to pay at about US$ 2.61…

4 Likes

This is bloody good fun:

Very bloody, actually. And very funny.

3 Likes

Oh, thank you for the reminder.
Been looking forward to this since I first saw the trailer.
Now earmarked for tomorrow evening.

3 Likes

With Nick Cage you either get really fucking amazing, or dear god why… lately, even in his cheesiest films, he’s more often than not really fucking amazing. Like this film:

Should not have been at all enjoyable… But it ended up being worth watching just for Cage…

Nicolas Cage Movie GIF by Signature Entertainment

It was just a batshit premise that made no sense, but it somehow worked because he was in it!

4 Likes

That does sound batshit.
Just my cup of tea.
:grinning:

2 Likes

Read that as Nick Cave, and now I totally want that movie to happen.

1 Like

We really need a movie with both Nick Cage and Nick Cave…

5 Likes

This one’s better:

2 Likes

Yes but… CGI blood.

I’m a firm believer that if you’re gonna to do violent bloody slapstick gore the effects should be practical in camera and all over the actors on set, not CGI.

4 Likes

If it isn’t titled “Red Right Hand” I’m not interested.

3 Likes

Well, naturally… and the actual plot hardly matters.

3 Likes

Punk as f#ck misfit romcom in the most adorable way. Starts rough, but was grinning and laughing by the end, which seemed to be the intended arc. Really solid, under-the-radar performances.

2 Likes

Two incredibly effecting and roundly lauded Russian war films – one being Larisa Shepitko’s 1977 film, The Ascent, using war and religious parable as a vehicle for her philosophical beliefs, and the other being Elem Klimov’s (Shepitko’s husband) 1985 film, Come and See, it being expressly anti-war.

Both films resonate long after they end and are unforgettable.

BTW: The B&W cinematography in The Ascent is sublime.

1 Like

Debenham’s was a major department store in the UK that expanded into Ireland in the early 2000s the way many British store chains did - by buying an existing Irish one and rebranding it. As the COVID lockdowns hit, they were one of the last shops to voluntarily close up… and less than a week later they announced they were shutting down their Irish operations, without even paying the 1,500 workers their agreed-upon redundancy. Realising quickly that the only bargaining chip they had was the stock still sitting in the stores, they set up picket lines outside all 11 branches in Ireland, preventing multiple attempts by shipping companies to remove anything from the shops. This would go on to be the longest industrial action in the history of the nation, lasting over a year until a combination of underhanded tactics and court-approved police action got the liquidator access to nine of the stores, leaving the workers little choice but to accept the third attempt at a negotiated settlement, insulting as it was. The documentary 406 Days is their story.

The broad events of the action are well-enough known or researchable - they’re even on Wikipedia - that it’s not ruining the story to write up a paragraph on them here. This film is a warning rather than a story of triumph. What happened to these workers could happen to any one of us, but it’s also an insight into worker solidarity, the power that we as individuals have, and how a small number of motivated people can cause an outsized effect on the country. It’s by turns uplifting and enraging and I highly recommend it.

Visually it’s primarily interviews with the workers in and around the stores they worked in, as well as a few with politicians and activists who supported them combined with archive footage from news reports and social media. But they got access to the Dublin City Centre store, which is still unoccupied 2 years later, and there’s some striking footage which seems to have been taken with a drone in the largely empty space. It feels almost apocalyptic, with a handful of display pieces - mostly wall mounted that weren’t removed and a bank of escalators breaking up a massively open space. I walk by it at least once a week and it’s weird to think of that much open space sitting unused in the middle of a vibrant city.

5 Likes

Come and See is one of the most harrowing war films out there. A tough one to see more than once.

4 Likes

Thanks, on my list it goes!

2 Likes

I’d go as far as to say it is the single best war film about the second world war.

4 Likes