Sci-fi eco classic, "Silent Running," gets a new 2K restoration

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/02/01/sci-fi-eco-classic-silent-running-gets-a-new-2k-restoration.html

15 Likes

I looooooove this film.

23 Likes

I haven’t seen this in years. Between Bablyon 5 Remastered on HBO Max and this, it’s a good year for sci-fi classics.

10 Likes

When I was a teen I would go to sci-fi conventions just to watch this film.

11 Likes

Certainly a significant film from my tender youth. Two features worthy of mention right off: the delightful Joan Baez score and the fact that the ‘real stars’, the droids, were all double amputees walking on their hands, rendering them a delightful non-mechanicalism.

Next-up for golden-moldly-scifi: re-review Dark Star; also a good score, a crazy balloon alien, and a philosophical bomb.

22 Likes

ARRGHH. I just bought the regular edition less than a week ago, not knowing this one existed. Guess I’m going to have to double-dip.

4 Likes

“Time to go sleepy-bye, you worthless piece of garbage.”

7 Likes

Saw it new in 1972, [hey that rhymes]…

11 Likes

Blu-ray.com review rates Arrow’s release having vid/sound/extras significantly better than Universal’s.

5 Likes

Another ‘worthy’: Peter Schickele (aka PDQ Bach) scored the film.

7 Likes

Arrggghh.

BIG film for me as a kid. A friend and I convinced my mom to take us to a dinky theater on the other side of Long Island to see it. (And The Andromeda Strain, double feature!)

But I am terribly afraid that after ~35 years since my last viewing the suck fairy would have gotten to it.

2 Likes

Sad but amazing film. I’m in!

9 Likes

Big fan. I always get choked up.

3 Likes

Pinback’s video log is what slays me. :joy: In addition to his other talents, O’Bannon was a gifted comedic actor. To bad he didn’t do more along those lines!

4 Likes

Does it come with a digitized copy of the Scholastic Books novelization?

The first time I heard about it was when it ran on tv, 1974. I’m not sure at the time I knew it had been a theatrical release, tv was running lots of made for tv disaster films, and to some extent, Silent Running fitted that.

I have a green vinyl copy of the record, bought new about 1980. Just to get the two songs Joan Baez sings.

I found the novelization used, it has photos from the movie, and lyrics to the song (it’s on the same shelf that I have the Scolastic Books book about Sacvo & Vanzetti, related to a movie that came out around that time, the movie having Joan singing.)

I have the movie on DVD, I guess from the Columbia House DVD club, so I guess among my earliest DVD purchases in 2004.

Silent Running came out when SF movies were still uncommon, and not synonymous with action. So yes, I saw Dark Star in a theatre a few years later, and then Logan’s Run, and Star Wars the first day, sitting through it twice.

3 Likes

Me too! Huey, Dewy, and Louie ftw!

7 Likes

“We’re not playin’ for Three-N-On oil here, boys.”

2 Likes

Let’s not forget that Joel Hodgson cites Silent Running as one of the movies that inspired him to create MST3K.

4 Likes

Droid poker!

Long before there was an R2D2 there was Huey, Dewy, and Louie.

6 Likes

Technically, it’s a 4K transfer, subsampled to 2K.

2 Likes