Sci-fi eco classic, "Silent Running," gets a new 2K restoration

I’ve never heard of this before.

It seems really interesting

3 Likes

Damn. Classic film I haven’t seen in decades gets remastered and I have no way to watch it. I haven’t owned a Blu-Ray player in years. I hope they offer this Special Edition for streaming. :crossed_fingers:

And how about A Boy And His Dog, from which certain elements were borrowed for Mad Max?

3 Likes

I don’t suppose you’ve ever seen Wim Wender’s Until the End of the Road – because IMHO the relatively-recent, VERY long-awaited Criterion release of the 4 3/4-hour version is worth the price of admission for a Blu-ray player alone! It’s a now-in-the-rearview near-future round-the-world romp of a road movie with an incredible soundtrack and amazing cast, and while maybe not for everybody, I can’t recommend it more highly.

I will have to check out this new version of Silent Running, I haven’t seen it in ages. Someone mentioned Carpenter’s Dark Star which sounds familiar, but have I actually seen it? I feel I must have? But definitely need to seek that out as well.

I saw this for the very first time in the past 6 months or so. Definitely a solid entry in the kinda-weird dystopian post-apocalyptic movie category.

3 Likes

I haven’t. I’ll check it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just realized, I have an external optical drive I bought to write to BR-R for data archiving back in the day. I can probably fish that out of the closet and use it to play Blu-Ray movies.

1 Like

Instabuy for me. I randomly stumbled on this film on someone’s list, totally missed it until a few years ago, and loved it. For anyone worried it didn’t age well, there’s a recent review for you.

3 Likes

This is definitely one of those films that I stumbled across in the wild 80s-90s heyday of daytime broadcast/cable filler movies during summer vacation, along with Phase IV, The Quiet Earth, and Logan’s Run. How do modern kids learn about classic fringe sci-fi films???

4 Likes

Prove me wrong: the only sci fi film with songs by Joan Baez.

3 Likes

Phase IV is a criminally underrated film!

3 Likes

Prime has it.

But I’ve already seen it.

Instead, I’ve followed the “Customers who watched this item” llink to reveal

It appears to be dubbed from the Italian.

Wim Wender’s Until the End of the Road
Untill the End of the World, surely?
One of the best movies ever made, however the director’s cut is just too long, 2,5 hours should be enough time to get the story out.

1 Like

TIL! Thanks for the reminder of PDQ Bach. Shortly after when I bought one of them darn-fangled new CD players, the second CD I bought was PDQ Bach’s 1712 Overture, mostly for my dad who was a huge Victor Borge fan and for whom PDQ was precisely perfect.

1 Like

might take a looksee at dark star if they doddle that munchy

4 Likes

Hard disagree on that one. I didn’t know what to expect, having only seen the US release (many times). I had the extended cut on a German DVD I got in Berlin years ago, but never switched my player to the other region to watch it.

When I finally saw the Criterion, it blew my mind. I was most curious what the soundtrack would be like — it would have to be all filler, because the soundtrack in the ~2.5-hour version is SO GOOD. Oh boy, how wrong I was! A huge portion of what was cut was more amazing music!

If you can’t make it through a 4.75-hour movie, watch it in two or three sittings, and pretend it’s a miniseries. Problem solved!

3 Likes

I recently re-watched it, and … I was not as impressed by it as when I was a kid. The narrative seemed overly simplistic and ham-fisted. Oh well. I will re-watch it again with the re-mastered soundtrack just because.

One thing I remember vividly as a kid – I watched Silent Running maybe in '76 – was I swore the TV show Battlestar Galactica ('78) re-used footage of the Valley Forge domes or maybe they somehow acquired the original spaceship models. I could be wrong about that.

I have this CD.

Caution! Digital Sound Effects

" Warning! The balloons on track 2, the special sound effects on track 6, and the foghorn on track 14 index 6, are recorded at a realistically high level. Damage could result to speakers or other components if this program is played back at excessively high levels."

I’m not sure if this is an allusion to Telarc’s infamous 1812 Overture and it’s digital cannons, or whether they were serious.

1 Like

Is that the movie where the dog is constantly egging the boy on to rape the girls?

1 Like

Blood is more annoyed by Vic’s activities than egging him on, but otherwise yeah.

1 Like

Ooo loved this when I saw it in the 90s. Curious if it still holds up!

Yeah I read somewhere that the Valley Forge model was re-used on Battlestar Galactica.

Edit: the article about the Spot robot, which showed it digging a hole and planting something reminded me of Silent Running.

Also, back in the day I always assumed it was set around 2000 because there is audio saying the ships were launched on the first day of a new century but of course that could be any century.

1 Like