Bill and Ted's excellent adventures are worth re-watching

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/21/bill-and-ted-s-excellent-adv.html

5 Likes

I haven’t seen the second movie yet, I’ll need to before the third installment hits. But I grew up on the original and if this next movie is anything like it I can’t imagine passing it up.

4 Likes

Oh, you should. If anything, the second is superior – particularly if you’ve seen Bergman’s Seventh Seal with its famous chess game with Death…

14 Likes

The song was actually by Argent originally, one of those songs that few people know who it was by, but they still recognise it immediately… I rewatched Excellent Adventure recently myself, it’s still great fun. Socrates was played by a British actor who was in a sitcom dad-in-law role in Citizen Smith, in a relationship akin to Bill and Ted’s dad’s. I’m going to rewatch Bogus Journey soon too, having seen Seventh Seal and read the BJ(oh dear) comic book version lately. In the latter they were working from the movie’s script before release, so Death is depicted as a skeleton.

4 Likes

My family lived in San Dimas when I was a kid. I don’t think any scenes from the movie were actually filmed there (even though the city really did have a Circle K and a water park) but Bill and Ted always filled me with a sense of hometown pride nonetheless.

20 Likes

I had these both on VCR cassette when I was younger (likely recoded with a camcorder hooked up to our VCR; take that, Hollywood elites!). Must have watched them a hundred times. I’m a little afraid to rewatch them, but this gives me a little hope. Maybe I’ll watch with my son… Theodore (no relation).

Edit: No actual edit because it’s too good to remove, but I just remembered they’re called VHS tapes. Man, it’s been a minute.

10 Likes

A moderator on a forum I used to frequent (remember forums?)'s claim to fame was that he went to the high school they filmed Bill & Ted at. It was in Riverside iirc

4 Likes

the film reroll’s GURPS rp of it is pretty fun:

http://www.filmreroll.com/?p=153

4 Likes

14 Likes

Excellent! guitar riff

6 Likes

worth rewatching: file under “duh”

And I disagree about the second movie, I find the whole hell storyline to be… excellent.

3 Likes

Possibly the most terrifying depiction of hell I’ve ever seen on film.

6 Likes

Hate to break this to you… https://www.slashfilm.com/bill-and-ted-face-the-music-production-problems/

3 Likes

If you want more Bill & Ted, regardless of quality, check out the TV shows, all called Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventures.
There was one season of an animated show by Hanna-Barbera and had Carlin, Winter, and Reeves replaying their roles as voice actors.
Technically a second season of the animated show, but all new cast was produced by DIC and had 8 episodes.
Spun off from that was a live action TV series that had the voice actors from the second cartoon series taking on their roles.

As far as I can tell, none are available complete. A burn-on-demand “Best Of” DVD set exists that comprises part of the first cartoon and the whole of the second cartoon, but I haven’t found a home media release of the live action version. (Many clips of homemade VHS recordings are around on YouTube though.)

4 Likes

Wasn’t that Beethoven they brought back?? (Not Mozart).

4 Likes

Pronounced “BEET-hoven.”

8 Likes

You are right! Fixed.

2 Likes

STATION 

3 Likes

“Do you have a kiss for Granny?”
:nauseated_face:

4 Likes

7 Likes