The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

I haven’t seen this, but it seems interesting.

1 Like

I’m a sucker for cartoons. It makes me very sad to know that I will never see the cartoons listed on this site

https://www.catsuka.com/news/2023-12-13/cartoon-movie-2024-ma-preselec-projets-de-films-d-animation-europeens

3 Likes

Why not?

2 Likes

A skinhead movie? Are you sure this isn’t from the 90s/early 2000s? :thinking:

But yeah, this does look interesting! Though I’d say it’s very strong “Romper Stomper” vibes:

Rather than “This is England” vibes:

Both are great, but I think that the second film is much better it doesn’t just assume that “skinhead” = “neo-nazi”…

2 Likes

Probably these movies wont bê released here… :cry:

1 Like

Not skinheads. Gabbers.

90s rave GIF by NOWNESS

dance dancing GIF
Gabbers (friends) dancing hakken.

1 Like

Three Colours Blue does it for me. Every. Single. Time.

3 Likes

Huh… this is a youth subculture I’m not familiar with… I know the genre a bit, but not the specific subculture around it… Sounds like the scene had the exact same problems as skinhead culture though, with regards to violence and a racist group within the large culture… Was this specific subculture unique to the Netherlands? Or was this found in other parts of northern Europe?

I’ll have to go find a book about them…

1 Like

It wouldn’t be surprising if one or two of these films gets a wider release given that GKids has been picking up more and more European content. It probably depends on how much acclaim they get in their home territories. I can’t speak for where you may be in the world, but I’d say there’s a better chance of seeing them now than there was a few years ago. At least I’m trying to be optimistic about it.

1 Like

Has anyone posted the Civil War trailer here yet? Seems like it’s somewhere on the BBS, but not sure where… but anyways…

I’m really not sure how to feel about this…

1 Like

Basically it looks like a gussied up version of “The Purge”.

Yep, Rob did:

3 Likes

Ah! Thanks! Glad to know I’m not losing my mind! I’ll go post that there!

And I had just posted in that thread! Derp!

2 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

I wish I were kidding, but there are already plans to release an extended version of the film that adds in an hour of footage. Maybe Snyder-cut is just another marketing gimmick now.

2 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

2 Likes

I think Gabber was/is pretty much Netherlands only -

There’s a documentary somewhere that I saw at some point that was pretty good but I can’t find it. Here’s something that looks like it captures some part of the vibe:

2 Likes

Interesting! Thanks!

1 Like

Holy shit, it’s nearly 6 hours long…

Christ, Jessie!

2 Likes
1 Like