The Hemingwrite: retro word processor with cloud backup and google docs integration

The Japs are the chaps who have solved your problem:) http://www.kingjim.co.jp/pomera/

There are a ton of old word processors out there if that is what you really want. I guess you would have to actually get a floppy drive, then.

A used laptop might do just as well. A couple of years ago, I found an old IBM ThinkPad in the dumpster outside my apartment. All it needed was a new hard drive, so I got a used one from a thrift shop and I mostly use it for writing and to store a couple of non-compromising photos.

I primarily use Vim and LibreOffice, and back up everything on whatever WiFi I happen to be near; I donā€™t make any online purchases or store personal information.

A used laptop has a battery life in hours, not weeks. This promises a month and a half of use. The alphasmart neo claimed 700 hours, and in real world use probably saw closer to 800.

As for all the old word processors tossed out on thread? No. Membrane keyboards, maybe a dozen hours on batteries, and no easy way to get your work onto something modern.

The alphasmart used a USB B connector cable, same as found in a lot of printers, to connect to your machine, which would see it as a keyboard. This makes it so any computer that uses USB can use it even though their nifty file manager thing is windows only.

Iā€™m a fan of the concept behind hemingwrite, and on twitter thereā€™s a small push to get them to add a poll on site if they get funding on the sort of design to go with. I want this thing to succeed. I just want it to ditch the fake retro in favor of a less is more approach.

Couldnā€™t something like that be hacked from a rooted and modded Kindle (or other e-ink display reader) and an external keyboard? Low-power display, check; linux-running computer, checkā€¦

1 Like

It all depends on how the thing opens and operates. Alphasmarts it was ā€˜hit power buttonā€™ ā€˜directly in document that getā€™s autosaved constantly and without user intervention.ā€™

I got a response fromw hello theming write.com

*Sorry about the delay! I have held off writing you because 1. This is a very long email and 2. Itā€™s a very long email.
We appreciate your concerns and feedback! To start, this was meant to be a niche device, not everything to everybody. Also, no need to bombard us multiple times on facebook, email, etc. We are only a two man team and are doing our best! (we are also trying to build this product in our free time)

OS compatibility
Yes, we will sync everything to the cloud. Wait and see how this works when we release a demo.
E Ink fragility
Not much we can do about this. If itā€™s good enough for the kindle, it is good enough for us. E Ink is constantly upgrading their panels which we will benefit from as well.
reliance on google
There will be multiple backup methods.
wifi required
You can turn it off if you want to save battery power or if you just donā€™t want it on.
removable storage
Stay tuned
font size
Yes, you can change the font size as rendered on the screen. Output is straight text.
everything keyboard controlled
Yes except for the three switches (on/off, folders, and wifi)
local save
Yes, there will be onboard storage. In document formatting like bold and italics will be accomplished via basic markdown.
price
The only real flexibility on price we have is determined through what features we include or exclude. The great majority of the price is in the screen and keyboard which are the critical features of the device. If people want a budget device, a used alphasmart would probably be a better option. For professionals that donā€™t want a budget device, the Hemingwrite will be very affordable.
Design
Sorry that you hate our design :frowning: Not much we can do about that. You might change your mind when you see it in person.
Thanks again for your feedback. If you have more, please feel free to email us!
Regards,
Adam*

Letā€™s not forget heavy-duty encryption and an iron-clad guarantee that itā€™s not uploading anything to a third party who claims to only wants to ā€œget an idea of how to improve your Hemingwrite experienceā€.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.