The Internet of Shit: a godsend for abusers and stalkers

It’s entirely possible (if not predictable) that their former partners gaslighted them into believing that they are utterly useless around technology.

2 Likes

Boundgear, I always knew you were these things. I think the long wavy scarf gave it away. /s
:yum:

1 Like

I see, so you’d go all ‘Dave’ on these devices. Food for thought.

So, are you saying the devices or the person is uttelry useless around technology? Maybe both. Hmmm…

Oh, it is an easy trap to fall into. If your boyfriend is being helpful, then his “expertise” will go all kudzu over yours. and you think you have one less task to worry about. And the helpful boyfriend has the time he needs to install backdoors, change passwords, maybe even a keylogger, if you don’t watch out.

I don’t want to blame the victims, here, but point out how insidious the abusers can be. They actively work to make your own skills atrophy by “helping” when they can, which also makes your own skills atrophy through disuse.

2 Likes

Maybe they don’t know / have access to it, or don’t know how.

The locks were already there, installed by landlords on all the apartments, when they moved in.

Probably. Though everyone I know who has one, has just the one. (Front door cams have become especially popular due to package theft, for example.)
The article did describe harassment based entirely on cameras or other surveillance devices, though - it’s not just talking about using IOT devices to inflict the harassment. Cameras were being employed to allow abusers to know what the inhabitant is doing, and they use that information in various ways to frighten and harass the inhabitant.

OIC. So you’re admitting you are the culprit. Off with your head then! :rofl:

should someone start trying to domesticate and civilizing the humans? I feel like I’m surrounded by savages.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.