The most distant known object in the solar system

Originally published at: The most distant known object in the solar system | Boing Boing

8 Likes

13 Likes

Do you want Mi-Go? Because this is how you get Mi-go!

6 Likes

4 Likes

If I were a guessing man (which I have to be since I’m not an astrophysicist), I’d say that given an orbit like that, it probably is a result of the same cosmic event that put Pluto in its orbit. It wouldn’t surprise me if that also is what put Uranus on its side.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Umm… you should probably get that looked at.

6 Likes

Hundreds of astronomers now join search for hypothetical FarFarFarFarOut.

4 Likes

That orbit, however, isn’t an even circle around the Sun, but a really lopsided oval.

Uhm, didn’t we learn this from Galileo and Kepler hundreds of years before this was discovered?

http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/7010/CM_15_Keplerian_Orbits.html

4 Likes

Well, the Oort Cloud begins about 2000AU. It would be interesting to discover anything sizeable out there. There is speculation that planet-sized objects are there.

Damn, I need to get out of town, to a dark-sky location on a clear night. It’s been way too long since I have looked at Infinity…

2 Likes

Quick look in the search engine (goggel was the first I used) and 400k is the length of Sweden (if mapped inside of a quadrangle north pointing)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.