The new VLC: Chromecast support, network browsing, 4K playback and adaptive streaming

At times when video is difficult to see,
Or otherwise the visions refuse to flow,
I click to command an open or import,
Into the sold-as-a-rock VLC.

It’s like Mr Fusion. You can put anything in there!

1 Like

I knew there was something I forgot to get my daughter to install on her laptop this weekend. Fortunately she did not need it as the software she has could deal with stuff but VLC is really a good tool to have.

Also who puts out DVD’s bundles with a text book when no one has a DVD drive on their computers for school. (Ok one person in the class had a drive and the company offered one free month of online access. Some of them decided to stager their free months so they would be covered for the whole course. )

What did he say?

What did he say, when I said “What did he say?”

funny how we are so spoiled now, I remember the old days when if you missed something you were lucky if you saw it in the re-runs maybe the following year.

2 Likes

Admittedly, now that everyone has that ability, writers have made shows denser and more complex (not all of them, but on average). You put any modern sitcom next to even shows from the 90’s, let alone the 70’s or earlier (really any pre-VCR days), and the pacing is totally different. Most have also gotten less episodic, because before DVRs and on demand you really couldn’t have a showed that required the viewer to have watched everything in order to understand.

The Alt-Right are a large step backwards, yes. Don’t let them get away with anything, they’re trouble.

2 Likes

Go into advanced settings and try increasing your caching?

Muxer was good, no change at all, even increasing it to a stupid number of ms. The playback is always fine, it just stutters when restarting after a pause - but only for .mkv. Just clicking on the scrubber fixes it…I can live with it, really, it’s just odd. I seem to remember some other weird .mkv thing from the last big VLC release, it was fixed after a couple of point releases.

1 Like

Yeah. MKV is a fucky standard simply because it’ll let anything mux up with anything. And that means every library handling MKV needs to work really hard to achieve anything like consistency.

A bit like XML.

Agreed, it was hard to find quality writing back then - it was a formulaic and episodic wasteland.
Aside from the BBC Masterpiece theatre series or the soap type of stuff like Dallas (which I admittedly never watched) the networks wanted the ability to fill in their time slots with interchangeable stuff.

People would have appreciated more complex writing, just like the networks never clued in to the popularity of music videos until the 80s came along with MTV. In the 70s if you were a music fan it was the Midnight Special or the one following Saturday Night Live… slim pickings.

1 Like

PBS was (and really still is) one of the better places for music. Even then we had Austin City Limits and Soundstage, and music often featured on Great Performances as well. These days, there’s also Front and Center, Live from the Artists Den, Infinity Hall Live, Live from Lincoln Center, and Bluegrass Underground as well.

I don’t know why, but I never really got into music videos, even though though they became a Big Thing as I was growing up; I’ve always preferred live performances instead.

2 Likes

Media player classic MPC-HD is the way to go for hi def video… also more customizable in my opinion

1 Like

I used to use KMPlayer when I watched a lot of anime.

It has an optimized version of the AWarpSharp2 library as a built in filter you can turn on.

Makes a huge difference in visual quality when you’re upscaling low resolution rips of Dragon Ball.

And to think the whole VideoLAN project started as a student project…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.