The Nordic Hygge AirChill is cold, portable room-cooling power that won’t blow up your electric bill

At least they’re calling this an evaporative cooler this time - in the past Boing Boing Store has only called them air conditioners, which they are not in the normal use of the term. A step towards honest advertising.

1 Like

The entire “article” is nothing more than an ad isn’t it boingboing? Are you really that desperate for content that you took some company’s PR writeup and pretended you were writing an ad? Seriously?

I never really expect better from this site, but at least you’re not selling trump steaks.

It’s an “advertorial”. Marketing company Stack Social contracts with various websites to put ads for Stack Social’s store under the sites’ own name and branding and using the sites’ native content management system, so the ads will bypass any 3d party ad blockers and rank high on search engines. The ads and products appear to be by BoingBoing but are actually by Stack Social (it’s unclear who writes the ad copy and how it gets posted to BoingBoing’s CMS).

The posts are marked as “BoingBoing Shop” on the main page, so their commercial nature is labeled. However, on the BBS main page there is no BoingBoing Shop category, so they get the “boing” tag, which makes them seem like genuine editorial content if you browse the BBS main page rather than the BB main page. However, once you click on the post, it will display with “boingboingshop” as the author.

In a way, the advertorials are a good thing, because it allows me to use 3d party script blockers for security purposes without blocking boingboing’s 1st party advertorials. I want BoingBoing to make money, and advertising is how they make money. But over the years many of the BoingBoing store ads have featured fraudulent discount claims and some the products, especially the “lifetime subscription” ones, have been ethically questionable, with the “lifetime” ending rather quickly leaving Boingers with digital subscriptions they can’t access (I’m thinking of one of the many “lifetime” cloud backup plans offered on BBS). BoingBoing even admits their shame of StackSocial in the BoingBoing terms of service.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.