The oil glut is so bad that the price is dropping below zero due to lack of storage space

So what?

…and the NDP or anyone farther left don’t have a prayer of getting into power.

“Drill baby drill,” right? :crazy_face:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the money is being funneled elsewhere. In Alberta, they leave an empty company shell behind and skip out on payments to local government and cleanup costs.

4 Likes

Is this why Der Gropenführer is gutting fuel economy regulations? The oilfuckers were griping?

1 Like

In 2015, Whiting Petroleum was trading at around $150 per share. At the beginning of this year it was about $3. It went bust this week - but not before the board awarded themselves $15 million in bonuses. Cheers!

US oil companies will be quick to blame coronavirus and the breakdown in OPEC talks in early March but they should really look to their own houses for how dramatically they’ve destroyed investors’ cash.

Negative prices do seem likely, but only if companies think it will be a short term situation. If it looks like it’s going to be longer, they will stop producing. This is good for some reservoirs but bad for other (the ones that need to be heated to flow, for instance).

1 Like

This guy did the best Odin. My wife has been binge-watching Lovejoy lately. First thing I said when I saw what she was watching was “That’s Wednesday!”

1 Like

Yeah, and doesn’t everyone in Alaska get what’s practically a guaranteed minimum income from the state, a product of all those wonderful extractable natural resources? Once that gets affected, it will get interesting.

2 Likes

$1.10 in some parts of Missouri. Granted, we have very low fuel taxes already. Look at our roads and bridges for proof of that

2 Likes

The whole “peak oil” thing is such a fallacy. As the price of oil increases, the amount of oil which is profitable to drill for increases also. If oil were to get to $1000 a barrel, it makes “sense” to spend $975 per barrel to get it.

More importantly, there are a billion different and more useful things to do with oil than burning it. Plastic being one, use Google to find the rest and you will never finish in your lifetime.

It’s kind of how everyone used whale oil 150 years ago. It’s astounding to think that they did all that work to get whales, boil them down (read Moby Dick), etc. And yet it was still cheap enough to use as lamp fuel.

Future generations are going to be astounded at how wasteful we are. The oil barons of our time will be seen as incredibly rapacious and immoral - evil even. Because they are.

6 Likes

This is all kind of a gross oversimplification, but our present Governor ran (and was elected) because his platform was essentially “bigger yearly payout!!!” Folks ran in droves to elect him, ignoring the fact that the money wasn’t going to come from oil revenues, but instead from big cuts to education/WIC/medicaid/etc. Apparently it isn’t considered “welfare” when you “earn” it because you…breathe Alaskan air?

The payout this year is forecasted to be ~$1000, which was snuck in as a way to get house minority voters on board with any sort of covid stimulus. Next year, even if there isn’t one, the government will be in a $500 million deficit. I’m morbidly curious to see how this all plays out over the next 12 months.

5 Likes

If the two of you like McShane in these roles, you might like him in If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium; it is where he perfected his ‘lovable rogue’ character.

2 Likes

That’s per year? Not much, given how expensive things are in AK (so I hear, never been there, but it’s a bucket list destination).

I seem to recall that something related, maybe opposite, was/is being done in Wyoming, where all this state revenue coming from all them horizontal wells they were allowing to be drilled was going to go to new schools, etc. Maintenance, upkeep and ongoing expenses were probably forecasted to come from those never ending wells. I figure some of those wells will be getting shut down, then what happens to all those shiny new playgrounds?

I wish people would stop thinking in these boom and bust cycles, with the only emphasis on the booms. How about more thought like an earlier poster from Norway mentioned.

2 Likes

The Gubn’r promised something like $3200/year, but hasn’t been able to deliver (shocker). It still isn’t that much money in the grander scheme of things. The important thing to realize is that children get it, too, but it goes to the parents until the child is 18. I think in an ideal world, you’d save it for college expenses, and some do, but most don’t seem to.

I spent about 2 weeks in Norway last summer and was extremely impressed with the infrastructure (the tunnels! the bridges!) and hydro energy. Reading @d_r 's comment makes me really respect the country even more. I know I’d probably see a different side of it were I a resident, but I do wish we could be more proactive when it comes to such things. Forethought, people! (I really liked the grasshopper/ant analogy :slightly_smiling_face:)

edited for clarity

2 Likes

That’s been the standard line for most of the last century for sure. Everything is in flux now, I feel like most of our countries are either going to go full fascist (21st century style) followed by inevitable collapse/disintegration, or another way. The center cannot hold (and doesn’t even really exist), as the saying goes.

And dropping, rapidly. I filled up at a Fred Meyer south of Seattle for $2.19 (before my rewards discount).

1 Like

And a lot of that cost is taxes.

1 Like

a lot of taxes? In the US? you’re kidding.

1 Like

State and local taxes on fuel on the West Coast. That’s why gasoline in California/Oregon/Washington is 2x or more the price in Kansas.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.