The only car from the 1980s I'd drive

If you drive off too fast, before your passengers have shut the door, the door will fall off WON’T IT RUPERT?!

I had a secondhand hazard yellow Dodge 024 that I loved. The hatchback and flipdown rear seat started my love affair with the hatchback’s carrying capacity, and the clutch was so forgiving I taught 2 people to drive stick with it. It lasted me through college, and if I could have shipped it to HI without paying more than the car was worth, I would have.

3 Likes

My first car was an '83 Datsun/Nissan Sentra. It was dual-badged, along with every other car they sold in the US that model year. It was super reliable and easy to fix. Never even had to have any repairs to the clutch for the 5 years I drove it. My next car was a '77 280Z 2+2, but I’ll save that one for a thread on '70s cars.

2 Likes

Mummified anoles are not an infrequent occurrence in Florida, I’m afraid

2 Likes

Not the best C3 by a long shot, but I’d absolutely drive one

WIth all due respect, I disagree. Nothing VW has ever made has lived up to its hype. On the other hand, mid to late 80’s Hondas and Toyotas are some of the simplest, most reliable cars ever made.

2 Likes

Had one.* Total POS. I mean like “turn the ignition key and catches on fire” POS. Constant fall-apart POS. Looked like spaceship, cornered like a barge.

Gotta say, though, I did like the T-tops.

*Mine did not talk.

2 Likes

My '02 RSX says Honda was still making very well made, super reliable cars into the aughts. :wink: This spring, I will replace the clutch for the first time, and maybe finally do the timing chain for the first time. I’ll have to wait for the mechanic to say something about the chain, though. He won’t fix that which isn’t broken.

5 Likes

Dated a girl who drove one. She let me drive it sometimes. Lawdy, it was FAST. 454ci. I swear you could see the gas needle move.

1 Like

There were three generations of brilliant Toyota Supras in the ‘80s. They were quicker around a road course than the super cars of the time.

And, seriously? The original BMW E30 M3 is from the ‘80s!

3 Likes

I bet.

I’ve only seen them, never been in one. I’m pretty sure I’d want to stiffen the suspension, but man that was a good-looking car.

2 Likes

They never stopped. I just think the 80’s cars were peak simplicity. In particular, the TBI Civics.

1 Like

I had an 81 318i to commute in for a few years in the early 2000s. That was a fantastic car, even if the US market bumper was ugly as sin.

Example:

5 Likes

That is a great color!

The one I had was in the same color! (but with the paint in much worse shape)

1 Like

Came to post about Hondas, saw everyone else has it covered, left satisfied.

The only car I’ve owned made in the 80s was a Plymouth Reliant, which I won’t sing the praises of but I won’t trash either. It did its job for an appropriate price.

While I agree my ridiculously built TDI-powered Syncro is an incredible piece of kit.

It is clear you haven’t driven an E30 BMW. Mine is a grey-market import from Belgium. A 1983 320i — a model we never saw in the USA equipped with an amazingly smooth 2.0 I6. Easily the most fun car I’ve ever driven — I’ve driven some amazing vintage automobiles throughout my career. Seriously, man, go drive one of these cars with a manual gearbox.

12 Likes

E30 here, because it wouldn’t let me post two photos in my post.

9 Likes

Yeah my mid engined toyota townace wasn’t the safest thing on the road. I own a VW caddy van now. Dirt cheap to run and easy to camp in. VW are selling a camper version of it too.

@IronEdithKidd

I’ll have to wait for the mechanic to say something about the chain, though. He won’t fix that which isn’t broken.

Oh you don’t want to break a timing chain.

1 Like

I still miss my '86 Mitsubishi MightyMax Sport pickup truck.

1 Like