This 1985 Buick is turbocharged and ugly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/06/this-1985-buick-is-turbocharge.html

3 Likes

Not so much “ugly”; more “boring”, a far greater sin.

11 Likes

Y’know what? I’d drive it. (Not for 11 grand, though.)* And that’s in spite of the advertisement – which was for the Buick Century (at the time, same platform as the Chevrolet Celebrity).

1985 would’ve been just before I had earned my first paycheck, so I can’t wrap my head around what was going on where 7.7% interest was a selling point. (I know interest was high during/after the Carter administration, but 1985?)

Buick produced 400 Riviera convertibles for 1985, after which the model was discontinued.

No it wasn’t! (or do they mean the convertible? I’m not even sure about that.)

*ETA: The looks of it wouldn’t put me off. The reliabilty might, though. I should’ve remembered I’ve already driven a mid-80s US car, a Chrysler Laser (at that time a rebadged Daytona). A nice-looking, turbocharged lemon. Went thru 3 cylinder heads in the 2.5 years I drove it. We did have better luck with slightly newer GM cars, though.

5 Likes

Gee. It ain’t sexy, but it ain’t ugly!
But fuhgeddaboutit… that sled wouldn’t pull my boat, so that’s a hard nope!

4 Likes

@jlw what is your opinion on the Chrysler Sebring, aka the “I’m a newly single and extremely responsible dad” of convertibles?

17 Likes

The successor to the Le Baron? Usually found packed with sorority girls from state colleges?

9 Likes

In 1984, our new mortgage had 14% interest, and we were happy to get one that low!

Back on topic, Rivieras and Toronados were both boring and ugly after 1978, IMO.

6 Likes

I always thought of them as the cars dentists drove but I think that image also works. Maybe because said dentists passed them down to their daughters.

6 Likes

My 1972 Toronado pulled a 17ft boat. It was a speedboat, so it was rather light.
IIRC, there was some fiddling underneath to secure the towing apparatus.

eta: 454 with a 4 barrel Rochester carb. It was surprisingly fast.

7 Likes

Had a buddy in early 80s had a Tornado. Yes, it pulled his pleasure craft (18ft Bayliner) and it would flat-out haul ass!
Not sure the 85 Riviera would launch/retrieve a 30ft Mako center console. YMMV

2 Likes

I sort of like the look, it looks like a Decepticon

12 Likes

I had one of those, same color as the picture!

It was not awesome, but convertibles are fun by default.

5 Likes

Ugh. Boring and ugly is what 80’s Detroit steel was all about. I don’t ever recall drooling over a mid-80’s GM car as a teenager.

The turbocharged 3.8-liter V6 was advertised by the manufacturer to produce 200 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque. Power is delivered to the front wheels through a four-speed automatic transaxle.

Sweet Jesus. Boring and slow. 3.8 liters w/ turbo and only producing 200 hp? Front wheel drive to boot for a car weighing close to 4000 lbs. That car must pull a mid-40’s on the 1/4 mile.

8 Likes

Ye gods I never thought I’d ever hear myself say this but man, I miss 1985.
Much of that year was ungood (for me, here, in the U.S.).

BUT.

It sure as shit wasn’t 2020.

7 Likes

The Riviera shared the same GM platform as the Toronado and Eldorado so most came with 350 cu/in V8’s that could pass anything on the highway (except a gas station!)

Built on a 114 in (2,900 mm) wheelbase, it once again shared its mechanical design and platform with the Cadillac Eldorado and Oldsmobile Toronado.

6 Likes

Last gasp of the American car class known as Personal Luxury Cars. Long, low, richly-appointed two-door sleds that you’ve seen in every Martin Scorcese mafia movie.

10 Likes

I drive a Dodge Stratus!

1 Like

No, that would be this Buick:

11 Likes

Crack Pipe

6 Likes

Engine technology has come a long way.

3 Likes