The Orville proves it’s one of the best sci-fi shows on TV with S2 finale

Season one was good. Our fam watched it all. Season 2 took a turn. It got a little too adult for my 11 yr old and a bit too serious/cerebral for our 15 & 18 yr old. It lacks some of the charm of TNG which they all have loved watching.

It’s still good. But perhaps not as widely reaching as they’d hoped.

1 Like

There was definitely some kissing going on behind the scenes with Gene Roddenberry (more than one person involved in the production walked in to Roddenberry’s office to find Nichols in various states of undress as late as season 3, regardless of what her autobiography says about when she ended the affair).

2 Likes

Ah I’m remembering now- I recall feeling like they couldn’t decide whether to be homage/playing it straight or parody and as a result it was neither fish nor fowl. At some point I’ll give it another chance.

2 Likes

The story goes that Shatner deliberately ruined all the “alternate” takes where the kiss didn’t take place, leaving the producers no choice but to keep it. Whether that is true is up for debate. Whether it is part of the legend of the incident, is undeniable.

Marc Cushman’s series “These are the Voyages” notes the affair and that Gene had a “wandering eye” in general.

It wasn’t just his eye that had a penchant for exploring new frontiers.

1 Like

The story goes that Shatner deliberately ruined all the “alternate” takes where the kiss didn’t take place

I had links to actual interviews with the people involved. If you want to talk about what happened, they’re consistent about a lot of things. A bunch of kisses, one take messed up on purpose and not used.

It’s not a mystery.

The people who seem to want to make it more mysterious, all share a basic inability and reluctance to believe Nichelle Nichols, and those are people that truly don’t deserve her.

1 Like

Fair enough. But calling it a legend is not about making it mysterious. Its showing appreciation. Nichelle Nichols is awesome.We are all lucky to have her presence.

1 Like

I like it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.