First Star Trek: Discovery trailer

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/17/first-star-trek-discovery-tra.html

3 Likes

Sigh. Trek is dead.

7 Likes

In the name of Kahless the Unforgettable, are they trying to out-lens-flare J.J. Abrams?

23 Likes

Lens flare and Xtreme Klingons aside, I’m cautiously optimistic. :smiley:

8 Likes

Screw my cynicism… I can’t wait.

7 Likes

Everything new is bad. Nothing will ever compare with the Trek of your youth, including reruns.

19 Likes

So was Spock. It’s a reversible condition.

20 Likes

It doesn’t seem very promising when I watch a trailer and have no more of an idea of what it is or what it is about than I did before.

For a franchfrise which is supposedly about exploration, I would very much prefer some Trek which avoided classic tropes of politics, villainy, and character drama.

11 Likes

Woot! Color me ready to watch. I’m shocked! Shocked I tell you! OK, maybe not so shocked…

I expect at least half of every episode to be nothing but extremely elaborate layered lens flares on top of lens flares, plus mb some 'splosions. Make it so.

1 Like

OH good, finally a Star Trek with an optimistic tone and sense of adventure, like the early Treks.

Also, I though Jason Issac was in this? He was at the local comic con. Nice guy. Although I heard while he is the captain, the story isn’t centered on him. I think it is the lady first officer.

2 Likes

this is going to last one season star trek is dead

I have to admit, I’m confused by this. It’s supposed to be 10 years before the TOS, in the original timeline, so why is everything so … fancy? Nothing looks even remotely like velour shirts and miniskirts logically followed from those uniforms.[quote=“Mister44, post:10, topic:101169”]
Also, I though Jason Issac was in this? He was at the local comic con. Nice guy. Although I heard while he is the captain, the story isn’t centered on him. I think it is the lady first officer.
[/quote]

What I heard was that there were TWO ships, Discovery and Sheng. Isaac was supposed to be Discovery’s captain and Yeoh of Sheng. But if that’s still the case it’s pretty unclear here.
Edit: Sorry, the other ship is Shenzou, not Sheng.

9 Likes

Seriously?!

It’s an ad. I realize they’re not the only people to do this, but who in their right minds region-locks an ad?!

28 Likes

Interesting, but awfully, I don’t know, pompous. Takes itself too seriously. Why can’t they tone it down a little?

3 Likes

12 Likes

Nonsense. Lots of new things are good. Arrival’s as good as SF was in ages. Game of Thrones is as good as fantasy series have ever been.

All new Trek on the other hand has been consistently horrible for a while now. And this looks like more of the same.

5 Likes

Sand. But no sandworms.

The production design reminds me of Lynch’s Dune. Does anyone see it?

This looks very very promising! Just seeing two women of color in commanding roles alone is making me very optimistic.

6 Likes

It’s not necessarily going to be bad. But it’s not Trek. It’s something else.

4 Likes

I was under the impression this was going to be about the original Federation/Romulan conflict? But Klingons now?
At least there’s Sarek?

2 Likes