Why you definitely want to be on Star Trek: The Cruise IV

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/14/why-you-definitely-want-to-be.html

20 Likes

Fabulous!
I have no interest in cruises - but this looks like a hell of a time.

23 Likes

30 Likes

I dunno, sounds fun but a five-year-cruise seems like it would start to drag on after a while.

29 Likes

Please just don’t be That Guy.

32 Likes

Not really a Trekkie, and definitely not into cruises, but I love the idea. Hope you guys have lots of fun on the next one!

10 Likes

If you are a fan it sure looks like a great few days … love how the ship gets decorated.

Trek has a philosophy of warm fuzzies and inspirational hope, where Star Wars seems just about churning out a new movie every year and cashing in.

4 Likes

Seems like the sort of event that would be likely to attract the, um, obnoxiously eccentric.

I admire the fortitude of the actors willing to attend.

4 Likes

There are also several cosplay-friendly events hosted throughout the voyage. If you’ve ever wanted to be on a ship surrounded by folks in Starfleet uniforms and insignias, this is the place for you.

That seems pretty tame compared to the stuff involving furries on the Paramore cruise

4 Likes

Looks like you had a wonderful and (given all the work you did here) well-deserved holiday in this setting.

There’s a unique culture behind Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry’s optimistic vision of a utopian future attracts a certain type of fan, and there’s something special about putting thousands of like-minded people and the actors who portrayed their most beloved Star Trek characters on a ship for a week.

Like more Fred Rogers, we need more Federation in our lives right now. Thanks for sharing this.

18 Likes

What surprised me most was the way that feeling carried over to every aspect of the cruise. The atmosphere was inclusive, energetic, and optimistic, whether you were attending a science seminar, watching Wil put up “FUCK TRUMP” as his final jeopardy answer, or talking with any of the ST actors onboard. It was an awesome vibe.

22 Likes

I love me some Star Trek and I am a dork and all. This just seems like it over eggs the pudding a bit for my tastes.

I’ve been to blizzcon multiple times and helped head some fan events and I got burnt by it.

1 Like

Did you miss the sign specifically stating “NO TRIBBLES ALLOWED ABOARD SHIP”?

25 Likes

so this is a thing. the variation of experiences you can have on a cruise ship is near endless.

I’m just baffled at the decision on the “crew” page to use a photo of Shran to illustrate Jeffrey Combs; that is not the role I associate most strongly with him by a long shot.

3 Likes

My question is what’s the Horga’hn policy on board?

9 Likes

As long as it was consensual and in private then it’s none of my business.

7 Likes

I think yiffing is the correct term.

6 Likes

Hilariously, someone gave these out to all the actors on the ship, who promptly wore them!

Jason Isaacs had about the best reaction to it: “Is my wife going to let me back in the house if I wear this here?!”

12 Likes

My envy has gone pulsar plus.

11 Likes