First Star Trek: Discovery trailer

I was told there would be lens fl— oh, there we are.

Carry on, then.

7 Likes

So true of many many shows.
Trek mostly holds up for me as I find it amusing in other ways now that I am older.

2 Likes

Couple of things-
Did they redesign the Klingons? I’m not sure if they were this way in the recent films as they made a brief appearance in ‘Into Darkness’ and regardless, I’m not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I like aliens to look… alien, on the other hand, there is a fairly long continuity of them looking a certain way (given, it’s not how they originally looked).

As someone said above, this takes place 10 years before Kirk, (presumably the recent reincarnation) yet everyone is dressed in jumpsuits that don’t look anything like their counterparts in the films. If it’s 10 years before Kirk was made captain, then this doesn’t make a lot of sense (continuity wise, in terms of presenting a typical strong female character it works alright), if this is 10 years before Kirk was born, then this might make slightly more sense since there was some kind of transition period from military to… whatever star fleet is in the current universe. Now, I thought that transition would have occurred about a hundred years prior to this, but who knows?

I’m not quite ready to throw in the towel for the plot; that said, I don’t have high hopes. Of course, I could be a little jaded by watching the Flash the other day and witnessing… I understand a lot of people love that show, and I can kind of see the appeal, but it’s just so…

1 Like

I don’t know, i’m actually kind of excited for this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Original Trek is dead. :frowning:

1 Like

It would have been amusing if they had taken the opportunity to re-focus Star Trek as boozy Art Deco Mad-Men-in-space with retro '60s aesthetic, but it looks like they didn’t want to do that.

Given all the different styles that have been presented in Star Trek (1966), Enterprise (the series), and Star Trek (2009), doing any kind of convincing interpolation between those data points is not really going to be possible.

Everybody’s favorite Star Trek film (TWoK) didn’t care about continuity. It took what it wanted from the past and it ignored what it didn’t like. Discovery might be good or it might suck, but it won’t be because of how consistent it is with what we have seen before.

5 Likes

where is my final frontier?

i get that not every episode can be the literal hand of a demi-urge grabbing the enterprise and shaking it around… but please show me something new

2 Likes

Yeah but it’s not unprecedented for a military to make a sudden big change to it’s uniform. Look at the US army; they went from the classic olive drab/khaki to what was essentially a green business suit, and then a few years ago they suddenly abandoned green altogether in favor their dress uniforms for daily use; they look more like police now than soldiers IMHO.

So I could certainly imagine some higher-up in star fleet saying, “these jumpsuits are too utilitarian, we need a uniform that reflects the star fleet of today” or some similar bureaucratese, and then everyone having to rush out and get fitted for mini skirts while grumbling about how this isn’t the star fleet they signed up for…

6 Likes

Ugh. Thankfully not NuTrek. But - it doesn’t look anything like the original Kirk era. This looks like an alternate universe following Enterprise. Perhaps that’s when they should have started an official universe split. I can’t see how this can reconcile with Kirk’s 23rd Century. Was NCC-1701 a massive leap backwards in technology? Just leave pre-TOS prequels alone.

1 Like

Kudos for not saying “Couple things” there.

… as you were[/cough]

3 Likes

I don’t know where you got this from, but I don’t think this was ever on the table. It doesn’t fit the timeline and they said early on that the show would be very Klingon-centric. Which is a pity, since they’re my least favorite major race, but everyone else seems to love them, so what can I do. I can never stand this rah-rah-warrior stuff. But if they already redesigned the makeup, which I’m fine with, maybe they will also take a more nuanced look at their culture.

Anyway, really excited for this. I’m optimistic.

Klingons have some weird backstory about how they’ve undergone some kind of radical appearance-changing phenomena between ToS and TNG, and I believe the changes in the design are there as part of that plot point. Worf said they do not speak of it.

I actually really loathe that it’s another prequel. I really want Trek to return to Bajor and Cardassia, maybe even showing what happened after DS9. I just can’t get amped for this, I’m old and things will never be good as they were again.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say TWOK didn’t care about continuity. They went back to the original series to find a point of reference, which didn’t happen to completely fit, although only through small details. Since it happened after TMP they went ahead and updated it (quite well). There was a chance here to blend Enterprise and TOS, giving the TOS era a familiar,but enhanced, look. It’s just too close in the timeline to do something totally new.

Not sure I’m on board with the Xtreme Klingons, deus ex machina plot hand-waving not withstanding.

But I’ll give it a chance. I wasn’t a big fan of Voyager and especially Enterprise either, but they weren’t all bad. If they tried to recreate the Trek of my childhood, they’d just wind up failing. Better for them to try something new or nothing at all. I’d rather they try something new. If I don’t like it, I won’t watch it, but at least it’s an opportunity. Maybe they’ll make it work. I won’t dismiss it out of hand based on a vague two minute trailer. I actually kind of like the sets and costumes. I just figure the Federation had a major infatuation with the Jet Set Era, sort of how we have periodic bell-bottom pandemics.

If it does succeed, it will be in spite of nay-saying true fen. Just keep in mind that this is aimed primarily at a new audience that didn’t grow up with our Trek. Remember how many TOS fans groused about TNG when it was on the air.

I do hope they dial down the lens flare a bit.

5 Likes

Yeah, but this is before that. Roberto Orci devoted an entire episode of Enterprise to “explaining” how all the Klingons between Enterprise and ST:TMP had a “reason” to look like humans in Fu Manchu yellowface.

This new series is being inserted into that time period, and it doesn’t give a fuck. These are the Klingons from Into Darkness. Deal with it.

1 Like

God, I hate that episode. The design change didn’t need any explanation. Either hand-wave it like Worf in DS9 or throw in a line like “Oh, those were the Klingons from Klingon Australia, but now we’re in charge. Why would you think we all look the same?”.

What really bugs me about it is that it treats the audience like idiots. I love ST with all my heart, but I know that it’s fiction, it’s basically a play for television. I get that it’s just a change in production design, I don’t need an in-universe explanation. If Enterprise had lasted any longer, they’d probably have explained why the starship hulls went from silver to white and then back to silver again (I fear there might be novels about this).

So redesigned Klingons, yeah, whatever. Don’t care. And as for the uniforms, come on. We all know how fast fashion changes, and that counts for Starfleet as well. Why would there be a straight line from Enterprise to Nemesis?

7 Likes

Screw Paramount I watched it any way and i am in the UK, I just had to use a proxies server to pretend to be in the USA, why in the 2017 companies think region locking is a good idea or works is beyond me.

I was just watching this fan edit of TMP, and the first time we see the Enterprise I was like,

"Hey, that spaceship is made of plastic!"

About which, after further thought:

1. It’s consistent with the models from the series, which they probably thought was important.
  2. It’s a perfectly reasonable thing for future-people to build a spaceship out of.
  3. Space is dark, and white plastic is highly visible.

But maybe they lit the model to look more plastic in that first scene as a way of helping viewers to bridge the transition. I think it looks more metallic later.

I share your hatred for region locks (though non-US countries will get the series on Netflix, teehee), but this is CBS, not Paramount (they have the movies). Which is a mess, and supposedly one reason why Discovery will take place in the prime timeline, and not the Kelvin one.

1 Like

Is this confirmed? (Though I’m actually more interested in DuckTales and Dragons: Race to the Edge.)

Edit: Nervemind, I know Google! It apparently is.

1 Like