First trailer for 'Star Trek: Picard'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/23/first-trailer-for-star-trek.html

7 Likes

Damn it. Fuck you CBS All Access. Sigh. . . (digging for my wallet)

7 Likes

Make it so.

10 Likes

That doesn’t look promising. Star Trek isn’t about a single person.

Generally I want a show about something more than one man’s journey.

9 Likes

Well, that didn’t raise goosebumps at all!

6 Likes

The vineyard is a nice callback to the flash-forward bits of the final TNG episode “All Good Things.” I guess he decided against the beard in this timeline.

22 Likes

[gestures wildly at all the other shows you have to choose from in the sci-fi genre alone]

11 Likes

Nice to start with the vines, old vines. Old vines, like old people, things and places, just have more character, more flavor, more vitality as they try. one. last. time. to fruit and pass on their greatness.

One of the greatest characters ever created in sci fi or other genres. Make it so!

14 Likes

Best. Trailer. Ever.
I don’t trust it.

This is exactly what I want from a Picard series.
Jean-Luc sitting on the veranda, telling stories spiced with literary quotes, offering some redshirt his Bordeaux.

This is not what I will get. I know it.
I just hope this isn’t going to be awful.

27 Likes

11 Likes

Great another thread wherein a 2 min trailer will definitively determine if the show will be good or bad; when it doesn’t really show us anything whatsoever.

I love that it is showing Picard retired and on his family winery.

11 Likes

If the premise starts and ends with Picard, the show will be shit sf.

Great sci-fiction has a strong sociological question built into the premise. That trailer is a pitch at nostalgia, and an attempt at justifying why you should sign up for their streaming service.

That’s not to say that I wouldn’t sign up, if the show isn’t a rushed mess.

2 Likes

What do you think –
vineyard : military cemetery symbolism
Beautiful, or heavy-handed?

2 Likes

For our friends without VPN:

24 Likes

I’m excited for it but i am not psyched that the show is named specifically after him. I expected him to be a central figure to the show but naming it Picard does make me very apprehensive.

I still am hoping for the best, but if this show requires a subscription i’m gunna pass. Still good luck to everyone involved.

8 Likes

I would imagine there are a few people connecting with boing boing that do not live in the usa. This isn’t the first video upload that won’t play here in Canada. sigh
Watch it via you tube. I’m on board!

1 Like

My exact thought. Though I’m not yet ready to give in and fork over the cash.

5 Likes

Hold strong, friend. Hold strong. Resistance is not yet futile…

2 Likes

I want to know how the future treats all the senior citizens who are not big landowners.

10 Likes

yes. yes, PLEASE.

NOW.

5 Likes