First trailer for 'Star Trek: Picard'

I think they hinted in that episode where James Doohan guest-starred that old people get shipped off to the retirement planet. Where it’s always sunset!™

13 Likes

The Internet’s capacity for HYPE!

4 Likes

People outside the US and Canada will be able to stream it on Amazon Prime.
https://www.startrek.com/news/stewart-picard-amazon-prime

2 Likes

8 Likes

What was that sound being played in the background of the trailer?
giphy

5 Likes

I dunno - this could be about anything. It could be like those BBC dramas on PBS where they talk in funny accents and either solve quaint murders, or host dinner parties where some simple misunderstanding leads to a crazy sequence of shenanigans. Or maybe it’s just a cooking show, those are very popular. He invites aliens and humans to compete to come up with the best dishes, using his wines as an ingredient.

I dunno, I love Patrick Stewart, but I have zero faith in CBS being able to tell a good Trek story at this point. As much as I tried to defend the first season of Discovery, when I was honest with myself, it wasn’t Trek. I haven’t even gone to go find the 2nd season. The Orville is better Trek than anything since TNG.

10 Likes

Sociological you say? Like the Big Brother version of Starfleet implied by the interrogation? Like the idea that a retired old man is of strategic import to someones? Like the questions of viticulture in the late 24th/early 25th century? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Was the ST:TNG theme being played on a flute, and yes, like that one.

EDIT: How the hell did I never notice that the “TNG theme” is actually from Star Trek: The Motion Picture?! (Listen to the soundtrack while Scotty is touring Jim around the outside of the refit Enterprise.)

4 Likes

I’m a Trek fan. I always have been. I love what CBS has done with the franchise. Disco was a good time and i really don’t care what is and isn’t canon. It’s entertainment and CBS is doing a good job of entertaining me with stories from Roddenberry’s universe. Will this be the greatest Trek ever? Who cares? It’s still Trek. Just shut up and eat your replicated crunchberries.

10 Likes

There is room within the Star Trek universe for more than one type of story.

20 Likes

Then you, fellow BBSer, have chosen to miss out on some wonderful characters and storytelling.

6 Likes

Only its not a vineyard and he only realizes something funny after having lived there for several years. He notices strange things out of the corners of his eyes and begins to suspect a foothold situation perpetrated by the Borg who are in turn being manipulated by Q. Meanwhile an aged Wesley Crusher and a non aged replica of Data beam him up just in the nick of time ending in a cliffhanger of the first part of a two part season premiere. Fade to triumphal Star Trek TNNG closing theme song.

9 Likes

Of course, people living outside the US (in our caves) aren’t interested in Star Trek.

I just don’t understand the thought process with region locking in this global age.

7 Likes

Which is why Discovery isn’t good. It’s all about the growth of Burnham (which starts Elder Scrolls style with her in prison). Fortunately the deaths of millions allows her to become a well adjusted adult and realize what the Federations is all about so she can lecture the Starfleet admirals (and us) in the most excruciating terms possible.

1 Like

The vineyard as a symbol for a graveyard didn’t register with me at all, so it’s either not heavy-handed or I’m just oblivious (or both).

4 Likes

Well I am willing to get to it eventually, it is just harder to aquire than some other things.

But from the previews pre-season it still seems to have this slick grim-dark future embroiled in war instead of exploration. Not that I don’t like those types of stories, but that isn’t how I like my Trek.

2 Likes

I had to quit watching Discovery. Sorry, bearded Spock.

And am I crazy, or does this trailer’s voiceover sound like Burnham?

2 Likes

And who buys the wine? The Federation doesn’t use money, we’re told. Does Picard give it away? Sell only to Ferengi and Klingons?

2 Likes

Something about local broadcasters (and by local I mean local to the country) purchasing the exclusive rights to be the only one who can broadcast the show in their region. Part of that agreement is to prevent other international sources from doing an end run around their paid for blockade, thus region locking exists.

3 Likes

I thought it did. I suppose it is far future her. Though I’d have given her a cool robot voice box from a future tragedy. Something that makes you sound like a Decepticon.