First trailer for 'Star Trek: Picard'

I would totes watch a show about Picard running a vineyard in retirement. :smiley:
(But I’m also totes not going to pay for another streaming service).

4 Likes

I like Star Trek, but haven’t seen enough from Discovery that makes me want to pay for yet another streaming service (only watched Season 1, not chuffed enough to seek out Season 2). Will probably look for Season 1 of Picard, but they have better ramp up quickly or I’ll go back to Orville.

2 Likes

Some definitions Most movies are a hero’s journey. What I mean by Sociological stories is something like The Wire. A story about an institution in a time and place.

My criticism is that a hero’s journeys rarely are good SF. There is little room for the story to reflect a question back to the audience and ask is this right?

Some examples, Stargate SG1 could not have run for 10 years if the title name dropped a major character.

Battlestar Galactica couldn’t have the good guys justify using human suicide bombers, and ask us the audience, what is the flaw in their logic? Wouldn’t you do the same?

2 Likes

The Trekie in me is trembling. The CBS part, not very happy about that…

4 Likes

Honestly, wine making is probably one of those jobs that people would do even if there was no money. Heck, perhaps it would be one of those jobs that more people would do if they didn’t have to worry about the money.

To be honest, we don’t know how the economy of the Federation on earth works. We know it is somewhat reputation based. We also know that real estate property doesn’t work the way that it currently does - it seems like land is mostly passed down, and if it isn’t used it seems to be lost. (If you don’t have land and want it, move to a new planet.)

We know the vinery has been in Picard’s family for a long time; perhaps since before the abolishment of money. We know that Picard’s brother, wife, and children were lost in a house fire during the TNG movies, and that Picard felt that he could be away from the winery because they took care of it. It is possible that if the winery does not produce wine for the government, the government takes the winery and gives it to someone who can produce the goods.

So he may have faced a choice: give up the winery or his commission. And after the movies…

(I would love it if they had Wil Wheaton in the show as well. Alas, if he is in it… he has remained exceptionally tight lipped about it.)

5 Likes

thank you. why is this even geoblocked?!? its just a teaser/trailer for fucks sake.

5 Likes

Oh, I dunno. You can tell all kinds of stories named after a character. In no particular order…

Jane Eyre
Oliver Twist
Sherlock Holmes
Anna Karenina
Life of Pi
Mary Poppins
Harry Potter
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
John Wick
Forrest Gump
Logan
Picard

Edit: I agree that it would be strange to tell Picard’s “hero’s journey” because he doesn’t fit that mold (and we’ve already seen his journey). I see this title more as incredibly irresistible hook (I mean, I can’t not watch it), and who knows what the story will be.

9 Likes

Counterpoint:

8 Likes

Mmmmmmm - wine.

2 Likes

Perfect, I’ll be streaming it through a VPN from inside the US.

2 Likes

Ha! One of the most common quips about the wine industry:

How do you make a million dollars in the wine industry?

By spending 2 million.

10 Likes

It sounded more like Gina Torres to me but its probably Michelle Hurd since we know she is in the show.

(and sad you gave up on DSC, bearded Spock turned into an awesome version of the character. Enhances Nimoy’s take instead of just mimicking it like Quinto did)

2 Likes

Wine ads are known for their lack of goosebump-raising power.

3 Likes

That holds about as much water as a sieve. Enterprise was technically “trek”. Like most other folks I am extremely wary.

The only thing that has me not dismissing it outright is that they have made it seem like Stewart is behind some of it’s creation. But even then, I like him because of his acting. Is he any good with story? And how much power does he actually have?

God, I hate “teaser” trailers. Show us something or don’t bother.

3 Likes

He’s a wine cop. The full title is “Picard: FCA”.

Just another space procedural.

9 Likes

By the early 23rd century the bitcoin blockchain has evolved into a self-aware superintelligent algorithm that controls all Federation economies.

14 Likes

You will be assimilated. You will subscribe where no one has subscribed before.

And yeah, goddamn CBS (he said as he looked for his credit card).

8 Likes

How do we know the narrator of this teaser trailer isn’t Blockia, the sentient blockchain’s biped facing interactive agent?

4 Likes

With a heavy heart, all I can say is, “Pathetic. Keep your pathetic garbage, CBS. I wouldn’t even bother to pirate it, let alone pay for it.”

That schmuck Abrams killed Trek for me anyway. Discovery was like spitting on a corpse.

1 Like