Watch the new Star Trek Beyond trailer!

[Read the post]

1 Like

I still havenā€™t seen Into Darkness.

3 Likes

21 Likes

ā€œVulcan of Loveā€, Fuck Yeah!

2 Likes

The only part worth watching is the cold open scene. Throw the rest of the movie into the trash.

3 Likes

So Star Trek really has been stripped of everything that made it unique (space diplomacy!) and turned into some super generic FX-laden blow-em-up in space. What a shame.

15 Likes

If you get upset over a movie having too much shit that makes no sense, then donā€™t.

The first reboot was ok. The 2nd one I think i lost sanity over. This could be fun if the plot doesnā€™t suck.

But of of course they have turned Star Trek into a generic sci-fi action genre, devoid of anything resembling the thought provoking challenges in Rodenberryā€™s original vision.

9 Likes

and shame on Simon Pegg for decrying the childish dumbing down of sci fi and then doing this shit. WTF, Simon?

3 Likes

So, let me get this straight. After ā€œInto Darknessā€ pissed the fans off by dumping all the cool Star Trekky stuff and just being a generic sci-fi action movie featuring Spock and (spoilers, eh) Khan in an extended fistfight, they answer fansā€™ ire by hiring the director of The Fast and the Furious? Welp, this is what you get. Sabotage, indeed.

11 Likes

Everything remotely worth watching in that movie:

4 Likes

Star Trek Beyond Thunderdome

14 Likes

I call him Frumious Bandersnatch. It makes my wife laugh every time.

13 Likes
7 Likes

A noble sacrifice on his part. His Scotty makes the world a slightly better place.

3 Likes

No Intergalactic?

14 Likes

Saw it and my response was ā€˜Eh.ā€™ Iā€™ll probably see it on DVD or streaming or something like that. Probably wonā€™t go to the theater to see it.

3 Likes

Same here. Although I have only watched parts of Into Darkness while flying and without the sound. An episode of DS9 on Netflix provides more enjoyment than the new films.

6 Likes

Yeah, I admit I got a kick out of the ā€œWe shall worship the Enterprise as our new God!ā€ gag.

I think the thing that pissed me off most about the reboots is that Spockā€™s character was changed from ā€œthe one guy you can always count on to never lose his shitā€ to ā€œthe guy who is constantly losing his shit.ā€ The first time he got pushed over the edge and gave someone a violent beat-down it was an interesting revelation about Spockā€™s mostly unexplored childhood. But by the third time he did it my reaction was ā€œso Spock is basically Bruce Banner now?ā€

9 Likes

Abrams and Linn just held a press junket discussing their interest in film and their thoughts about the direction they took Star Trek inā€¦ https://youtu.be/uHkvD7-u7y8

3 Likes

In fairness the ā€œspace diplomacyā€ stuff never really worked in the films as well as in the TV series. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country arguably had the most space diplomacy but doesnā€™t hold up nearly as well as Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (which is doubtlessly why Into Darkness used that film as the basis of its remake/homage/parody).

4 Likes