CAPTAIN WORF!
CAPTAIN WORF!
CAPTAIN WORF!

13 Likes

So say we all!
So say we all!
So say we all!

6 Likes

It will produced by Alex Kurtzman, who co-wrote and produced the movies Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013).

Great. So it’ll be produced by someone who clearly hates Star Trek. At least I don’t see J. J. Abrams’ name mentioned.

15 Likes

If this is another retread, rehashing the same tired setting with Vulcans and Klingons and transporter problems and Raise the Shields and bland homilies . . . oh, come on, we’ve had enough of that comfort food.

Give mid 21st century humans with logical extensions of current technologies a warp drive and nothing else and take it from there. Realistic challenges of space exploration. Brand new races, dealing with the uncomfortable blow-back of technology.

Because:
“It is the business of the future to be dangerous, and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties.” A.N. Whitehead.

10 Likes

Captain Saavik! Every third episode will have to include a reference to a former original series crew member being trapped in a different time warp so that they can all eventually appear in Next Generation.

6 Likes

nuclear fusion will be only 30 years away!

12 Likes

Variety reports that first-run episodes will air on CBS but after that, episodes will be “available exclusively in the U.S. on CBS’ All Access digital subscription service.”

That isn’t what Variety is reporting:

Producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new “Star Trek” TV series, setting it at warp speed to debut on CBS in January 2017. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the U.S. on CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. This would be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

Emphasis mine. The premier episode will be on CBS, but at least for now it’s being reported as a direct-to-streaming series to provide some content for CBS’s stupid $6/month subscription service.

I’ll pass. I’ll be curious to hear what kind of per episode budget they’ll have for a series like that though.

3 Likes

Also, don’t call it Star Trek! I mean, how derivative!

About $1.50.

2 Likes

Probably about 45 minutes.

let’s see if they will lose more money then Yahoo’s Community venture.

Thank goodness. Just this morning I was thinking there hasn’t been enough rehashing of treasured things from my past.

9 Likes

Dr. Trek Wars!!!

9 Likes

“It’s been a long road,
getting from there to here…”

4 Likes

IN SPACE!

3 Likes

Hooray for walled gardens!

:crying_cat_face:

…they better not bring back Jabba, either

1 Like
  1. I mean I’d love to see that brand new science fiction show you just described too, but this is about Star Trek.

2. Star Trek wasn’t bland homilies when it aired. It’s been a victim of its own popularity and thus become its own cliché. A new Trek series should be relevant to our present, I agree, but dumping the entire mythology and fictional future history would be…a different TV show.

3. If Star Trek has a core ethic, it’s optimism that humans can learn to use technology wisely for the betterment of all. Making it a dystopia would be…a different TV show.

Also, generally, why the fuck is CBS planning to put it on a streaming service no one gives half a frak about? Do they want people to pirate it? Haven’t they been paying attention? You put the first season, one episode at a time, on Amazon Prime where they gouge the living shit out of people by charging full cable prices for one lousy show the vast majority will never ever watch a second time, then plonk the whole finished season on Netflix once they’ve fleeced the people who want to actually talk about it because Amazon and their partners are too goddamn greedy to let you rent episodes like you can rent movies. Meanwhile, Bittorrent provides an outlet for people who refuse to taken advantage.

9 Likes

Pleas! Ignore the new movie’s continuum!!!

4 Likes

Look, I’m just going to come out and say it: Keep the Star Trek rehash, we still want our goddamn Firefly.

9 Likes