The parking chairs of Pittsburgh

On that note, something that is unique to every single place in the United States is the saying, “If you don’t like the weather in ________, just wait a minute.”

11 Likes

In some towns in Portugal, it’s a tradition to use big water bottles to reserve parking spaces. And the little old lady dressed in black will yell at you if you try and move the bottles. lol!

6 Likes

You seen my fucken chairs!

Or the “[our city] roll” for not making a complete stop at the stop sign.

And somehow it is universally true that the drivers from the state next to yours are so much worse than the drivers from your state.

3 Likes

Nah, our drivers just pretty much suck. It doesn’t help that we get a lot of tourists from all over, so everyone brings their own set of driving conventions to further confuse the issue.

1 Like

I grew up thinking it was a Chicago thing. Really, it’s a thing wherever one has to spend forever digging their own parking space out of all the fucking snow…

Possible exception: Los Angeles

I’ve always heard that called the Hollywood Stop no matter where I’ve lived.

This is especially true in areas with confusing traffic patterns and insufficient signage. Even moreso if such areas are almost exclusively populated by townies who know these patterns cold.

3 Likes

I have never heard the term “Hollywood Stop”.

3 Likes

Ah! So they set it on fire to burn the upholstery off and make it legal?

7 Likes

To the people who refer to this as appropriating a common good:

That is strictly true, but if you shovel out a space in the depths of winter, you are performing a service to the common good. It was no longer a parking space before you put in the time. You ought to get the right to the spot for long enough to incentivize other road users to clear spaces rather than poach shoveled ones. Once the street has capacity again, the right to the spot goes away. I have no idea how you justify claiming a spot when the weather is good.

7 Likes

The parking chairs were interesting, but then YouTube offered me this and I thought it was fascinating:

I didn’t realize it was so hilly there.

6 Likes

Hey now, don’t try to steal East Lansing’s couch burning thunder.

4 Likes

BTW, if you are wondering why Pittsburgh doesn’t just use residential parking permits, you need 70% agreement in the zone. You can’t get 70% agreement that the Steelers are the best football team.

https://pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/designation-criteria

2 Likes

Hawaii

Likewise, but with “California Roll.”

4 Likes

That’s when you eat sushi while driving.

14 Likes

What the hell else would you eat while driving? It’s the perfect road trip food! :wink:

(I’ve perfected the art of shifting gears with o-hashi.)

3 Likes

This was the exact incident that came to mind when I saw the video. People are awful here in Portland with the cones. At the very least, the city will typically cite people, or at least send them a nasty note.

But can you catch flies?

latest

2 Likes

I grew up in Calgary, Canada and this was widely accepted as something unique to Calgary, due to some pseudo-science about how the mountains buffer the air coming in off the Pacific ocean.

1 Like

It IS unique to Calgary!

Also to Texas, North Carolina, Alaska, New York, Finland, Iceland, Florida and the American Midwest. Possibly other places as well. You’re in good company!

3 Likes

The difference in Philly is moving one has gotten people shot:

1 Like