The Pegleg: an implanted, meshing, networked mass-storage device that you sew into your skin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/12/purloined-letters.html

4 Likes

Wouldn’t just carrying a wiped burner machine be easier than that?
Or just buy a burner machine once over the border and access your data remotely…

9 Likes

needless components removed

Cool, but this is still a (for something you plan to embed in your body) HUGE circuit board. Fine for a proof of concept, maybe, but I’d rather sew something much more compact and custom-desgined into my skin. What’s the point of walking around with 40 unused GPIO ports in your arm?

5 Likes

Could be half that size with a custom board.

This would be very helpful for smuggling data in and out of areas where Internet access is tightly controlled or non-existent.

4 Likes

Or an SD card that’s going to fail sooner or later.

2 Likes

TSA approved by congress to add the right to cut open your body to inspect for data devices in 3,2…

5 Likes

Hit me.

8 Likes

Wheee! Sign me up…

2 Likes

I want to see what that looks like when viewed on a TSA body-scanner.

4 Likes

This is a precursor to the memory crypt the data broker had in The Expanse:
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/3acbebd6-7b55-40bb-92af-78a6d74c474e

1 Like

I am reminded again of that Tim Cannon fellow.
index

Also I am now wondering if anyone’s done experiments on just how much of an EMP burst you would need to fry a Raspberry Pi 0. (Small enough that no one would notice and start raising concerns about human exposure, perhaps?)

4 Likes

Sounds pretty dicey to me. Sure you might scramble some bad guy’s piratebox implant, but you might also fry every pacemaker in the building.

1 Like

I feel like countries that tightly control internet access wouldn’t be too concerned about constitutionality in this case. Maybe better to swallow a thumb drive? Then if it’s discovered it could be confiscated without surgery—voluntary or otherwise.

5 Likes

It’s ridiculously huge. I mean, it’s not even a proof of concept.

AFAIK, the “concept” that you can desolder some of the fatter connectors on a raspberry pi and install piratebok on it wasn’t one that was in any need of proof in the first place. Nor is the concept that smearing enough bio-compatible silicone goop onto anything will render it, technically, implantable*.

An ACTUAL proof of concept here would involve proving that you could do it on hardware that might be borderline reasonable to actually implant. Definitely some kind of custom circuit board from the get go - which aren’t particularly hard to do nowadays. Even on flat flex, which might be nice.

The result shouldn’t be “half the size” of the raspberry pi – more like a 50th. A little esp32 chip (not module - just chip) or something, a beefy little BGA flash chip, a ceramic antenna and a few 0201 passives. Modulo the inductive pad, that doesn’t need to be more than a few millimeters square.

You’d need some custom software too, but again, proving that could be done on reasonable hardware is part of the concept, I’d say.

* At least I hope that’s already been proven, because otherwise this would be a pretty unsafe way to try to prove it.

14 Likes

NOPE.

*looks again

FUCKING NOPE.

4 Likes

On second thought, get a knife.

5 Likes

I want room service!

1 Like

The reality, oh the reality. Always trying to be like the fiction.

3 Likes

Hey, Remember that COOL CUTTING EDGE technology from 18 years ago?

Now imagine you implanted that into your body.

Sure, it might have been a good idea at the time, but the embedded CueCat reader in your fingers probably didn’t age well.

6 Likes

And so it begins …